This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Message Board Problem Resolution

Default Re: Message Board Problem Resolution

jd instead of putting each arc on one line than hitting return delete the line breaks, and put in linear mode

arc 1 qqqqqq to bob sss 2 rt to ed r 3 kelly s to m mack

versus1

not as easy to read but in order to fit it in....all the blank spaces in between is killing ya i think.... g luck

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDalglish View Post
    Hi,

When I went to edit the Long Road Home social group (just changing the date and adding a name) it told me that I couldn't post it as there were 1835 characters and the maximum was 1000 characters, yet the existing post is up in full (1835 or thereabouts).

How can I get round this, please?

Thankee in advance.

Long days and pleasant nights
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6
    Moderator's Reply:
    The limit has been set to allow for more efficient searching of the groups. There is no real work around, per se. Is it possible to trim down your description?

--Jordan

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.2.1 Safari/525.27.1
    Moderator's Reply:
    That might not do the trick as whitespace (a space or a line break) are each one character. If you cannot adjust the list to fit, let me know.

--Jordan

Hi Jordan,

I savagely edited the description down from the 1835 characters to just under 1000, but I don't know how much sense has been lost. We'll see I guess.

I don't know how mylife4usk is going to manage to do that with the trivia group though.

I would have thought space savings could have better been made elsewhere personally.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6
    Moderator's Reply:
    It has little to do with space and a lot to do with queries and resources.

Also, I'm afraid that I didn't write the software. If need be, I can probably change it.

-- Jordan

Question Re: Message Board Problem Resolution

1 ? when u get a chance jordan.... old soc groups i had the posts LIFO ..now they are fifo..and i have to page to last page to see latest updates --any way to flip that around?

thankee
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.2.1 Safari/525.27.1
    Moderator's Reply:
    I had modified the old system to list the social group messages in that way. That modification does not work with this version of the board. I may or may not be able to implement it in the future.

-- Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by rjt65 View Post
    1 ? when u get a chance jordan.... old soc groups i had the posts LIFO ..now they are fifo..and i have to page to last page to see latest updates --any way to flip that around?

thankee
    Moderator's Reply:
    I had modified the old system to list the social group messages in that way. That modification does not work with this version of the board. I may or may not be able to implement it in the future.

-- Jordan

Hi,

That would be good if possible, thankee Jordan.

Now I know why you picked an avatar with a flaming head! That's what I feel like on most days at work!!! Bless you Jordan...bless you....
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)

Hey Jordan,

I had a really hard time editing down my group's(Stephen King Trivia) description. I even had to delete members that were listed on the top. Not liking the fact that we only have 1000 char's., any way to make it as least 1500? John had an idea to free up space and/or memory, how about deleting the older posts? My group has what seems like a million pages. We really don't need the first 500,000. Just a thought.
    thankee sai.
    ~Ceej
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; AOL 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    Moderator's Reply:
    The problem has very little to do with memory allocation and a lot to do with queries (particularly slow and cumbersome queries of large text fields). I may be able to up the description a bit, but I believe the Trivia and Long Road Home are the only two groups running into this problem. I'll look into this over the next few days. It is possible to make the change, but I won't do it if it is going to add significant load to the server.

-- Jordan

only had problems with what's your song of the day, and i wanted to play SK trivia.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_4_11; en) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.2.1 Safari/525.27.1
    Moderator's Reply:
    I'm afraid you'll have to be more verbose.

-- Jordan

I am able to upload photos from my desktop to my profile page,
    but when I try to post my pic's (ex; Constant reader shirts) I click
    on "insert image" and a box pops up for me to type in the
    entire URL. I tried the entire URL from my profile page, twice. When I check
    out the thread result is only a box "click to view image" as if a spoiler, I
    got nothing. Only my profile page has windows that offer browse and search.
    So I am unable to share my photos in a group.
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; AntivirXP08; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    Moderator's Reply:
    You have to enter the URL for the image itself, not for the page the image is upon. The albums are not designed for use in posts.

--Jordan

Any chance of having a list of pages ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page) beside our Social Group listings (such as this one)?
    Moderator's Reply:
    I'm guessing that you're speaking as a member of many social groups? I'll look into paginating the area, but I can't make any promises.

To the 1000-character limit, there's not much you can do with a thousand characters. For instance, will we still be able to write a Halloween story this year?
    Moderator's Reply:
    The limit only applies to the description of the group. The limit set on posts should be the same across the board.

On an unrelated note, I seriously recommend removing the Thanks feature, as it drains resources, intensifies search demands, and adds clutter without providing any benefits not already available with other features like quoting and PMs.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20070508 Firefox/1.5.0.12
    Moderator's Reply:
    The idea behind it is that it will allow for less, "Thanks!"-type posts. We'll see how it works out over the next week or so.

-- Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Srbo View Post
    Thanks for the answer.

But, is there any way that we can retrieve those lost threads ?

I would very much like to save one that I started here but I can`t find it anymore...

It`s called " A story about a broken Life...and how I relate to Steve..."
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Rogers Hi-Speed Internet; FunWebProducts; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    Moderator's Reply:
    Sorry, it looks like the thread is gone. Generally, any thread which goes unused for more than 180 days is deleted.

I also have more bad news for you, it looks like your browser is infected with adware. Here's some more information on FunWebProducts.

To remove a FunWebProduct and your My Web Search toolbar, you must do the following:
    1. From your computer's Start button, select "Settings", then select "Control Panel".
    2. Double-click on the "Add/Remove Programs" icon.
    3. Select "My Web Search Bar" and click "Remove".

The My Web Search toolbar and the FunWebProduct feature have now been uninstalled.

-- Jordan
    I was going crazy trying to finding a few threads myself. There was some poetry that I wrote and posted and silly me didn't save it anywhere else. Then all of a sudden *poof* it was all gone.
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.1)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast