This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Folk music, Does anyone still listen to it?

Default Folk music, Does anyone still listen to it?

I'm a Huge fan of folk music, (i enjoy all genres but this is my fav.) I just downloaded Harvest by Neil Young.(an oldie but goodie.) I enjoy Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot,(lots more.)
    I was listening to Harvest, After the Goldrush and was thinking these guys sure could write, the music and lyrics were absolutely wonderful.
    After all these years their still putting out great work. (N.Y.-Prairie Wind , excellent.) What folk ,if any do you SKMBer's enjoy?

Default Re: Folk music, Does anyone still listen to it?

Hi,

Oh yes, big-big, and going back to Jimmie Rodgers, the Carter Family and Robert Johnson.

BBC TV in the UK has just finished a superb series called 'Folk America' spread out over a few weeks which traced the development of folk in the US from way back to today - if it ever comes on in your area or is released on DVD. don't miss it!

The last thing in the series was a concert filmed a few weeks ago with Judy Collins, Roger McGuinn and Carolyn Hester - marvellous!

Long days and pleasant nights

John Mellencamp's latest CD is very folk sounding. I'm loving it.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by tillyn View Post
    I'm a Huge fan of folk music, (i enjoy all genres but this is my fav.) I just downloaded Harvest by Neil Young.(an oldie but goodie.) I enjoy Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot,(lots more.)
    I was listening to Harvest, After the Goldrush and was thinking these guys sure could write, the music and lyrics were absolutely wonderful.
    After all these years their still putting out great work. (N.Y.-Prairie Wind , excellent.) What folk ,if any do you SKMBer's enjoy?
    Ain't nobody like Gordo fer sure, fer sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    John Mellencamp's latest CD is very folk sounding. I'm loving it.
    Hi,

From where I'm sitting, that augurs really well for Ghost Brothers of Darkland County.

He did a couple of songs from the album solo with a guitar on Jools Holland's show towards the end of last year, and they were very good indeed, must get the album!

Long days and pleasant nights

Yeah, I listen to folk music, but not American folk music. I better enjoy folk music from India, Japan, China, Africa, Arabia, Jamaica, etc.

a friend of mine brought over a cd by some guy in alaska...it was great ..will have to get his name again for everyone

Edmonton Alberta Canada home of the Oilers

Huge folk fan, John and I attend the Edmonton Folk Festival every year and we're hoping to get to Calgary's again soon. Winnipeg apparently has one of the best as well, but we're afraid we'll get FOLKED out. I do hope that one day we can attend all the Alberta ones - Jasper, Canmore, Calgary, and Edmonton, but we'll have to see. I tend to lean toward the celtic and americana roots acts. I love Kevin Welch Kieran Kane, The Dead Reckoners, Show of Hands, The McGarrigles, Loreena McKennit, Tom Russell and on and on and on. John and I also always spend an afternoon at the blues stage but with our new Blues Fest they've begun to limit the acts at the Folk Fest. I cannot wait for this years - Rodney Crowell, Loudon Wainwright III, The Steeldrivers, Kathleen Edwards, Linda Tillery and Fred Eaglesmith so far.

Love folk music: Dylan, Byrds / Roger McGuinn, Donovan, Tom Russell, Richard Thompson, Judy Colllins, Gordon Lightfoot et al.

Has anyone been listening to Iron & Wine? A blog friend recently recommended The Creek Drank the Cradle, and I'm so glad I picked it up. Good stuff, beautiful and haunting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast