This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Word of the Day...

Default Word of the Day...

For years I've subscribed to M-W's "word of the day." I love learning new words (even if I don't use them very often), and I thought it might be fun to "share" new or favorite words with my fellow SKMB mates. There are a lot of words in SK's books that could use a good "looking up" by me too!

Piebald: adjective
    "composed of incongruous parts; of different colors ; especially : spotted or blotched with black and white." (M-W Online Dictionary.)

Default Re: Word of the Day...

What a great idea for a thread!!! I will try to pass on the new word I get every day.!!

What a great idea Perse! Vocabulary can be fascinating! Some people have large vocabularies and some do not! I think learning, reading and life experiences add to ones vocabulary.

To use it in a sentance:

The piebald breed of the royal python is a rare specimin indeed.

boogerb53 Guest

Pie bald?! hehe! That sounds positively obscene!

Well lets see you use that in a sentence! My eyes are piebald after a 12 hour shift.

I like this word of the day idea. How about "dichogamy" = The production of male and female reproductive elements at different times by a hermaphroditic organism in order to ensure fertilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Perse Jr. View Post
    For years I've subscribed to M-W's "word of the day." I love learning new words (even if I don't use them very often), and I thought it might be fun to "share" new or favorite words with my fellow SKMB mates. There are a lot of words in SK's books that could use a good "looking up" by me too!

Piebald: adjective
    "composed of incongruous parts; of different colors ; especially : spotted or blotched with black and white." (M-W Online Dictionary.)
    I had to look "piebald" up because it was used in Lisey's Story! I'm sure I had come across it before then, but I'd never noticed it.

melee: \MAY-lay\ (noun): a confused struggle; especially: a hand-to-hand fight among several people. Example Sentence: The shoppers' voices grew tense as they argued over the last Cool Sally doll, and for a moment I feared that a melee might erupt.

Thanks Perse....i always have a word of the day, unfortunately it tends to be a swear word and not a newly learnt word.

Hi,

My word for tomorrow is 'procrastinate' LOL.

Long days and pleasant nights

Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast