This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cornfields so creepy!

Default Cornfields so creepy!

Stephen really knew how to turn a cornfield into the creepiest place on earth in this story, but what is it that makes them so creepy really? Is it the story itself that makes them appear so? Or maybe it's the gangly way the blades reach out from the stem like long, withered arms in the late autumn?

In the past I've generally never thought of cornfields as something to be wary of, but now I guess it would depend on the season and time of day. Whenever I happen to drive by one and look out the window I can't help but shiver a little and think back to...Children of the Corn!

Default Re: Cornfields so creepy!

I would say the creepy part about them is that when you walk in them, you can't see anything that isn't immediately surrounding you. Would make a good place for someone to jump out and either scare the crap outta you or just kill you. That's what scares me about them.

I think it's because it's so easy to hide between those long stems. Scary place!

Personally, I think it's the fear of the farmer catching you and kicking your ass for trampling all over his prize crop while playing hide and seek with your friends.

I think part of the mystique of cornfields can be derived by the fact that once you immerse yourself within its corny depths, all sense of location leaves. You can't see anything, can hear only the wind brushing through cornstalks. Occasionally you may hear a small animal scamper through thick patches directly behind you.

And after watching the film, I began associating rusty sickles and old farm equipment with cornfields, and they can be creepy in their own way.

I've walked through a corn maze at Halloween and indeed it was creepy!

Quote Originally Posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
    I think part of the mystique of cornfields can be derived by the fact that once you immerse yourself within its corny depths, all sense of location leaves. You can't see anything, can hear only the wind brushing through cornstalks. Occasionally you may hear a small animal scamper through thick patches directly behind you.

And after watching the film, I began associating rusty sickles and old farm equipment with cornfields, and they can be creepy in their own way.
    I totally agree! 0_o

I made the mistake of watching Children of the Corn shortly after I move to the middle of no where with a huge corn field behind me, want to talk about getting freaked out? Took me a long time before I dare braved that corn field when the corn was high to walk back to my friends house.

But yes, to those of us who have been in large corn fields when the corn is high, you do lose all perspective of which way you are going and feel so closed in, it is so creepy not being able to see what is even two rows over, take it from me, always take a dog with you, lol. All I can say is that Mr King must have been in a few corn fields to be able to come up with a story like that.

Ever been detassling..that is creepy..

Here is a picture of me riding, that is my house in the background. That is a very large cornfield in front of my house and I am actually riding between it and another corn field. It is cool, but I know what you mean about the creepiness of it. Once it gets tall enough, you can always hear the corn rustling against each other and October nights are pretty cool when a breeze blows and the dried stalks make very eerie sounds. Sometimes the deer moving through the corn can be heard and that makes you wonder what is out there sometimes.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast