This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Stand Deluxe DVD

Default The Stand Deluxe DVD

Hi All,
    This is just a question for those who have the 2disc DVD. I was wondering about the commentary by the Mr. King. Is it worth it and on par with the one in Storm of the Century? I really liked his commentary on that DVD.
    The reason being I am seriously thinking about purchasing this DVD, it will be off of Ebay since it is not available anymore in stores...if it is its as elusive as the loch ness monster!

Anywho, any and all comments will be welcomed!

Best,
    Bal

Default Re: The Stand Deluxe DVD

I don't have "The Stand" on any video medium. Is the whole series on two discs or just the pilot/first-part?

A two-disc complete set of "The Stand" would be cool!

As for the extras; tell me if the commentary, etc. is really worth spending more money on the two-disc.

i got my two disc the stand in a three pack dvd set with the langolears and the golden years and steve's commentary on the stand was great

Wow, I havnt seen it since it actually aired on t.v... might have to chase me up a copy of the dvd myself!

Let me second that Mr. King's comm track is fantastic. It's definitely worth the purchase to hear it.

I got it in a box set along with The Langoliers, Golden Years, 1408 and Pet Sematary.

The commentary is brilliant!

I'm not too big on commentary. It really destroys the 'movie magic' for me.

In the commentary to 'Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn', they make a point to show all the mistakes, point out all the wires, show the sweat dripping out of the latex mask the baddie was supposed to be, etc...

I admit, it was interesting, but it just took away from the overall production, I felt. The same with 'Alien'. Yes, trying to build tension between the humans at the start, etc... yes, using strange cuts of chicken meat they bought fresh every show to film for the alien guts was neat to hear, etc... but really, when you pick a movie apart, it's not a movie anymore, it's a bunch of scenes with trivia holding it all together.

But the 2 disc 'The Stand' on DVD is great. It's been one of my favorites in my collection for ages. I've passed out to it and woken up to the menu with the fire crackle noise going on repeat the next morning many a time.

It says, "flip the disc over for the other side" on mine though, and that's not possible, because it's on two seperate discs.

But DVDProfiler.com and it's application say that there were two or three different versions of the DVD at one time, one had it on a double-disc that you flip, the other, like mine, had it on two different DVD's on alternating sides to the DVD case. Maybe not the most expensive production hollywood has ever seen, but one of the most well put together for covering such a masterpiece of art, sure.

Ok I think I have a different DVD... I have a two-disc along with one-disc Langoliers and two-disc Golden Years... But no commentary... Darn now I have to get this

Quote Originally Posted by rok View Post
    i got my two disc the stand in a three pack dvd set with the langolears and the golden years and steve's commentary on the stand was great
    I bought this as well, except I dont have commentary on the stand. the only options I got on both the stand discs are PLAY ALL, PART 1, PART 2 and SET UP. the second disc is the same except chnage part 1 and 2 with 3 and 4. where is the commentary.

Check the 'Set Up' menu. Otherwise you should try changing the audio while you're watching the episode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast