Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Timeless Carrie issues

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Timeless Carrie issues

Wink Timeless Carrie issues

Just re read Carrie, facinated by how yet again SKs timeless magic applies .Carrie first captivated me because I related to being bullied at school,I also had a religious fanatic for a grandfather who lived with us from my age 10 to 15 .He would quote the scriptures at me much of the time in a very victorian way.Thankfully I didn't nail him to the wall with kitchen knive though I was often tempted,my love for him got in the way.

Default Re: Timeless Carrie issues

Carrie was my 1st SK book. I was in the 7th grade! From then I read all I could get my hands on, and she is definitly a character I revisit at least once a year

a book i can read repeatedly and always find something i missed.

I too love Carrie cause I can also relate to her.

When I first read it as a teenager I could totally identify with Carrie. I was picked on through out my childhood, many many times. (Although thankfully not to the extent Carrie was) I never had the best clothes, had a different home life, and I wanted to fit in desperatly. My grandma is pretty into her religion, but Margaret makes her look like a heathen...lol. I so wished to be friends with Carrie or to have her powers and the two of us could go around the world smitting bullies. LOL!

Now when I read it, I still identify with Carrie, and want to help her so much. BUT I can also feel a LITTLE bit of compassion for Margaret. The woman is off her rocker, don't get me wrong, she has MAJOR issues, but I truely feel that she wants the best for Carrie, that she's trying to protect her in her own strange way. Maybe I'm off on that, but as a mom of a girl who is overweight and has Autism I just want to sheild her from everything, so I'm wondering if that's what Margaret was trying to do.

I do think this is something every Freshman, or Middle Schooler should read, as a warning against bullying.

okay, you doods have convinced me. i'm gonna read it next. i found a copy at burpee's this weekend. just need to save up a little more cash to get it.

I also identified with Carrie when I was a teenager. I was picked on and bullied when I was in junior high and high school.
    This book also influenced me by making me not want to shower in public school. When I read about then saw the infamous shower scene, I decided I would quit school if they made us take showers in gym class! (Thankfully, my school did not do this.)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarecrowJoe View Post
    okay, you doods have convinced me. i'm gonna read it next. i found a copy at burpee's this weekend. just need to save up a little more cash to get it.
    Good choice Joe! Burpee's has it all, huh?

i think the guy probably has nuclear weapons back there if you dig far enough. if he doesn't have it, it isn't worth buying, that's what he says.

I first watched the movie carrie years ago i thought it was the best horror i had ever seen i was wrong the book was ten times better
    I was never really bullied at school. im the youngest child of four ive got three brothers two of them are twins who were 15 when i was born the other was 13 so my bullies lived in my home
    i would have loved the powers carrie had my brothers wouldnt have known what hit them lol

Burpee's? I really need to get out of my cage more often...we don't have those in Ohio.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast