This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The green mile is an excellent book and movie

Default The green mile is an excellent book and movie

I really liked this movie because i think we could all learn something from mr. Coffey!

Default Re: The green mile is an excellent book and movie

I agree. I thought the way it was conceived and created was especially interesting (Detailed in the The Green Mile "The Complete Serial Novel" hardcover --Introduction by Ralph Vincinanza) where it was suggested to King to write a serialised story similar to the way books were published in Charle's Dicken's day and King ran with it. Writing and writing and writing -- not really knowing the ending as each new chunk of the story got published month after month (thus becoming, in a way, official canon of the story to millions of fans as it was released)

And then the equally good film by Frank Darabont was released which is a quality companion to the book (which as we know, is not always the case)
    That, as well, had an interesting backstory where Darabont read just the first chapter book (of the proposed six) and asked King for the rights to do a film. The rest is history)

I think that over time it will be one of the few stories of his that will still be read a hundred years from now (As I suspect that publishing will be a whole different animal than the one we love now)

i have the complete serial novel in paperback but still just as good

also i agree with jeniffer we just need faith

Quote Originally Posted by tuttle300 View Post
    I agree. I thought the way it was conceived and created was especially interesting (Detailed in the The Green Mile "The Complete Serial Novel" hardcover --Introduction by Ralph Vincinanza) where it was suggested to King to write a serialised story similar to the way books were published in Charle's Dicken's day and King ran with it. Writing and writing and writing -- not really knowing the ending as each new chunk of the story got published month after month (thus becoming, in a way, official canon of the story to millions of fans as it was released)

And then the equally good film by Frank Darabont was released which is a quality companion to the book (which as we know, is not always the case)
    That, as well, had an interesting backstory where Darabont read just the first chapter book (of the proposed six) and asked King for the rights to do a film. The rest is history)

I think that over time it will be one of the few stories of his that will still be read a hundred years from now (As I suspect that publishing will be a whole different animal than the one we love now)
    I AGREE!!!! Just recently watched a re-run of the movie and am champing at the bit to do a re-read group of the book. Anyone else game?

Loved looking forward to each book as it was published. Wonderful story and movie! I think it's time to read it again!

Every but Every time I see the movie, I feel very sad... The last time I saw it, I couldn't stop my tears. So... I can imagine my reaction when I'll read the book...

Yeah i have to argee , The Green Mile , is one of my favorite books and movies

i have to admit, i cried during the movie...the book and movie were both amazing but also so sad! poor Coffey! but i am so thankful he saved Mr.Jingles!!! it's one of the most inspiring books i've read!

Book is better, its deeper then the movie. Success of the Green Mile movie provided an excellent actor - Tom Hanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast