Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
why doesn't Dreamcatcher rank in the top tier?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why doesn't Dreamcatcher rank in the top tier?

Question why doesn't Dreamcatcher rank in the top tier?

Just finished it, second read, first time was shortly after it was published.

Loved it. In terms of ranking, I'd have to move it up to the second tier, not quite as good as The Stand or It, but still damn good, even for SK who never fails to entertain even on a bad day.

But generally I've noticed that by and large its considered one of his lesser works, and it never comes up when someone posts a "favorite king novel" thread.

Why doesn't it rank? Its got the lovable childhood friends who are now adult heroes like It. And IMO, a more satisfactory ending than either It or UTD. And Kurtz is a great villian, an obvious prototype in some ways for Big Jim.

Why the lack of Dreamcatcher love? Is it the grossness of the ****-weasels?

Default Re: why doesn't Dreamcatcher rank in the top tier?

I'm with you Doc - I loved this book! In typical King style the characters are so well written and just about walk off the page. He writes childhood friendships so well and I missed them when I finished the book.

I'm not sure why it doesn't come up in "favourite King novel" threads...to be honest I never say Dreamcatcher either when asked this question. It's been years since I've read this novel and I think it might be time for a re-run to catch up with Jonesy & friends...just as soon as I finish UTD!

dunno, doc. i luved it. read it, like you, when it first came out, reread it, probably four or five times now since then...maybe the lack, as you see it, has to do w/the premise of the story, how much control the characters are granted...lots of death?...and yeah, those weasels. was sitting quietly in a tree and my stomach started gurgling. surprising how noisy that can be, if you ignore the crotch rockets roaring miles away. i should reread this one. just finished cabinet of curiosities, nothing new in the house...

Yep Greeneyes I heartily recommend that you do so. I've found that some of his books seem better at a second reading and this was certainly one of those. I think it might be that the ending and the whole issue of understanding the jonesy/mr gray entity is complex enough that it really takes a second reading to really understand and enjoy it to the fullest.

The only thing I didn't like was when

Owen died at the end.
    Other than that I thought it was great.

Kurtz was a damn good villain in the story and after seeing the movie version first, I was pleased there was so much plot difference because I could be surprised when the book differed from the (horrible) movie. The ending was one of King's best. I think that he managed to combine the best aspects of both his old and new writing styles here in a way he didn't end up matching again till Under the Dome.

Good point about the movie being different. I read the book first and only saw the movie recently. When it got to the end, that scene with dudditz, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I distinctly remember not liking this book AT ALL, but now that I've gone through all these favorable posts, perhaps I'll try again. The "intestinal aliens" is what turned me off, if my memory serves correct.

Yeah, even by today;s standards the XXXXweasels are a major gross out. They are every bit as gross in the movie too.

I love the book and the movie. I'm going to read the book again shortly.

And it has the Derry connection too.

And what's more, the structure with the "looser kids" and flashbacks was reminiscent of IT too!

I like the book but the movie was horrendous and failed on almost every level

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast