Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
one thing i hated about the movie

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: one thing i hated about the movie

Default one thing i hated about the movie

I just watched Dolores Claiborne a few days ago, and I liked it. It wasn't up there on my favorites list of SK movies, but it was pretty good. I guess the one thing that kept it from being one of my favorites was the acting from Dolores' daughter Jennifer Jason Leigh.

That was one of the WORST acting I've ever seen in my life! I'm trying really hard not to curse in this thread, she she was just awful! Kathy Bates is one of the finest actors in the country and everyone else did a good job too, but Jennifer Jason Leigh was terrible.

It's hard to put down exactly what it is that makes bad acting, at least it's hard for me to describe it. But the only way I can put it is that she just looked out of place, as far as her performance was. Do you ever see that? Like there's one actor that just seems...out of place with their performance? I don't know. Also, Kathy Bates is traditionally more subtle with her acting, she one of the only actors I can think of that is both subtle and yet extreme. But Jennifer's was not subtle at all. And she..just...I don't know.

Am I way out of line thinking this? Did anyone else feel the same way?

Default Re: one thing i hated about the movie

Jennifer was kind of annoying in the beginning (due mainly due her

bitchiness
    ) But I thought she got a little better as the movie went on.

Thumbs up to the movie in general...but I didn't care for JJL either...

Quote Originally Posted by nate_watkins View Post
    Jennifer was kind of annoying in the beginning (due mainly due her

bitchiness
    ) But I thought she got a little better as the movie went on.
    I agree totally. I think it was her general b_tchiness that made her annoying. I mean, that kind of behavior is irritating anyway, but there is a way to play it that still keeps the audience on your side, and she blew it.

JJL didn't bring what Kathy Bates did to the screen, she tried to act distant but came off as wooden. To be fair, I also think it was because the movie skipped so many of the good parts (otherwise it would have been 4 or 5 hours long). The movie had too much focus on the daughter instead of Dolores Claiborne.

I loved the movie. I have seen it twice, but I didn't like Jennifer Jason Leigh either in the role of the daughter. She annoyed me big time. Maybe it's due to the fact that I don't care about the actress, but frankly the daughter could have been cast better. I would have seen Kirsten Dunst in the role on the other hand. I imagined this actress's face when I was reading the book btw. I think Cathy Bates has a way with SK's characters. She was soooo intense in Misery also. The movie was fine, but it was not my fave of all the movie versions of Steve's books.

The first time I saw Dolores Claiborne (many moons ago) I didn't like it at all. Having recently re watched it, I did like it better, but I also did not like Jennifer Jason Leigh. Also there was no, or very little mention of her husband down the well. For me, that was a major creepy part of the story.

I liked the movie well enough. But did find Jennifer Jason Leigh to not fit in. But out of all fairness,maybe it is because Kathy Bates is that damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by king family fan View Post
    But out of all fairness,maybe it is because Kathy Bates is that damn good.
    Agreed.....

I'm definitely in the minority here when I say that I did like Leigh's performance. Dark and angsty, she had me believing she really was that messed up. Kathy Bates was her usual outstanding self. In regards to the way Dolores was portrayed in the movie, however, does anyone else feel as if the character was watered down? The book has been in my Top Three SK reads for a long time, and I just felt that in the movie, Dolores didn't have as much bite to her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast