This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Aliens

Default Ancient Aliens

Hi,

If you have a taste for the seriously WEIRD....

They've been reshowing the first series as well as the second on the History Channel in the UK and it's compelling watching and hard to fault research.

One of the most interesting contributors has been Sir Frances Crick, Nobel Prize winner and co-discoverer of DNA who is adamant that DNA couldn't possibly just have 'happened', it had to be engineered, which really begs a question, doesn't it?

If it's on at a TV near you, give it a watch, I'm going to see if it's available on DVD, it's a keeper!

Wikipedia reference-linkAncient Aliens

Long days and pleasant nights

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

Default Re: Ancient Aliens

Very intriguing show, and they tend to run several episodes back to back here.

I dig it.

Also mesmerizing on my version of History Channel are the shows "American Pickers" and "Pawn Stars."

But if aliens engineered our DNA, who engineered the aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by sam peebles View Post
    But if aliens engineered our DNA, who engineered the aliens?
    Hi,

Aye, there's the rub, the fatal flaw (IMO) of Richard Dawkins' 'The God Delusion'.

Wikipedia reference-linkThe God Delusion

The same entity who set off the Big Bang mayhap?

Long days and pleasant nights

Whatever the case...it all started with a kegger in Area 51...

Well maybe the alien constructors themselves were/are a non-DNA based type of life form. Just because DNA is the building block of life here doesn't mean it has to be the same elsewhere in the universe. The universe is an awfully big place, I'd like to think there is life that is so different from ours elsewhere in the universe that we wouldn't even necessarily recognize it as being what we call "life".

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

One of the many gods farted, and here we are...conscripted tenants of a humorous slum lord.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Well maybe the alien constructors themselves were/are a non-DNA based type of life form. Just because DNA is the building block of life here doesn't mean it has to be the same elsewhere in the universe. The universe is an awfully big place, I'd like to think there is life that is so different from ours elsewhere in the universe that we wouldn't even necessarily recognize it as being what we call "life".
    It was only a joke, the chicken and the egg thing. I wasn't trying to pull apart what John said. I have seen the show, and though I find one of the pundits on it annoying (youngish guy, maybe mid-thirites, long dark hair), they do raise interesting points.

I have heard of the idea that we may not be able to recognize alien life, most notably I remember it discussed in Michael Crichton's Sphere. But most species on Earth, even those separated by millions of years and thousands of miles, have distinguishing features that we would all instantly recongize. Ears, mouths, legs, two eyes, regardless if you're a mammal, reptile, insect, fish, dinosaur, bird, etc. (of course, there's always exceptions, fish don't have legs and neither do snakes, but they still have features you can comprehend). It is not far-fetched that ETs would also share these similarities. Neither is it far-fetched that they would not.

Another interesting (and more farfetched IMO) theory along these lines is the hollow earth theory. Check that out.

When I was a wee lad in school, I asked a teacher once why it wasn't possible that people advanced far beyond us lived a millions of years ago and were wiped out. The teacher didn't have an answer. I still believe this is possible. My wife and I are planning a trip to Bolivia in the next couple of years. I plan on visiting Puma Punku while there.

Definitely a cool show, some of it being too assumptive and reaching. Some of it raises serious, valid questions, though.
    We ARE the aliens man...

Does anybody else find the guy with the big wild hair on this show, to be completely annoying. He is so matter of fact. I get nutz when he talks, and his hair moves, and an alien pops out of it. "Hello my baby, hello my darling!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast