Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Trucks

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Default Trucks

I liked this story. Maximum Overdrive was one of my first experiences with Stephen King's stories. And I love that movie, but I gotta say I like the story a lot, especially because of the ending. The fact that they don't get away, and they are looking at a lifetime of doing what the trucks want them too. And the image of the factory workers making more trucks.... I live in Detroit, and that was a scary thought! We would be in major trouble in this area if that happened!

Default Re: Trucks

Yeah you would be in trouble if they took over your area. I dont remember the movie but I think I saw it when I was kid. The thought of standing at a gas pump for hours is frightening, knowing if you ran they would run you down. I think the humans could find a way to defeat the vehicles though.

The original story idea of using possessed Pintos was tossed, because they kept backing into each other and blowing up...a waaayyyy short story...

I have to hand it to SK, I went into this story thinking I was going to hate it -based on what I knew about it- but came out actually wanting more. I haven't seen Maximum Overdrive since the 80's and was so young then that I don't really remember much of it, so I'm going to definitely check that out again.

I don't know what it is, but when it came to machines coming to life, I am drawn in. It was the same way Christine; vehicles that drive by themselves, going on rampages are very entertaining and unpredictable. The film adaption, Maximum Overdrive I fell in love with it to the point I painted both the clown face and truck and trailer on canvases for high school projects.

I liked both movies but my son likes Maxium Overdrive. So that is the one I have seen the most.We do own both movies.hard decision here.

I liked the notion underlying this story, and I liked the way the catastrophe is never explained, and the resolution is left up to the reader.

What I don't like is how the survivors are able to pump the fuel despite the fact that the power goes out on page five.

There are small inconsistencies you can overlook . . . and then there are big ones that smack you right in the face and make you stop and realize that the author either thinks you're not paying attention . . .

Or he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    There are small inconsistencies you can overlook . . . and then there are big ones that smack you right in the face and make you stop and realize that the author either thinks you're not paying attention . . .

Or he's not.
    Hi,

Half full

Long days and pleasant nights

I liked this short story. I would like to see it expanded into a full novel as there are a lot of possibilities layed out toward the end. I guess, maybe Maximum Overdrive was an attempt to kind of complete the story a bit more.

I thought maybe they could hold out a little longer without pumping the gas... but maybe the Trucker's death broke their will.

Enjoyable enough...they seemed to crack quite easily and fuel the trucks though! How handy to have someone that could understand morse code! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast