This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else find themselves blurting Calla-speak after reading this?

Default Anyone else find themselves blurting Calla-speak after reading this?

I was talking to my girlfriend while I was nearing the end of Wolves and I unintentionally threw her a "thankee sai". I just finished my second reading and more than once I've caught myself almost replying to someone with Calla phrases. It would be one thing if they've read the book, then it would be funny, but most of my friends don't read much at all so I would prolly just come off sounding foolish. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I don't mean doing it on purpose but accidentally.

Default Re: Anyone else find themselves blurting Calla-speak after reading this?

Hi,

What? Me?

Never LOL.

Long days and pleasant nights

Default Re: Anyone else find themselves blurting Calla-speak after reading this?

I find myself putting "do ya" at the end of many of my sentences. Love me some Calla Bryn Sturgis!

Mayhap I have, and mayhap I haven't.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you, Ant.

As a communicative species we tend to be fond of affectation, and simple good manners often dictate we not point out when our fellows cross over from mildy amusing to genuinely irritating. In my day, it was people walking around pretending to be Yoda. If it ever gets to the point where you start noticing your speech being dominated by adopted slang, I would suggest reading Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange. There's nothing like some different nonsense to put the previous nonsense right back in its place.

"Thankee", and "Ka" dribble off the lips more than not-and people who aren't "in the know" gimmee that-"step away from the large human" look...

Somebody said 'thankee-sai' to me once, a person I didn't know very well, that I'd never had any SK interaction with... He became a good friend after that.

We all float down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    simple good manners often dictate we not point out when our fellows cross over from mildy amusing to genuinely irritating.
    Hi,

How true these words are, even today!

May it do ya fine!

Long days and pleasant nights

Do you kennit? comes up quite a bit in my family.

That is one thing that struck me odd about the series. All of the characters from "our world' stayed in the calla for about a week and suddenly spoke in callla-speak for the rest of the series. I know it is common for people to pick up up vocal patterns, but that seems pretty quick to me. Oh well, great series non the less. I have never spoken calla-speech, but I will catch myself thinking in it after a reread. Also, I've caught myself thinking in a maine accent now and again after reading King or Lovecraft.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast