This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest travesty of a movie ever made!

Default The biggest travesty of a movie ever made!

This book is very special to me. I've read from an early age, horror and "SCI-FI" / fantasy being the stuff i enjoy. I've been a career writer for the past 9 years and have finally finished my first novel, which is a horror.. and I doubt I would have got into writing had it not been for reading this book... maybe i would have, however It had a tremendous impact on me... I was about 13 at the time and found it by chance, written as Bachman, in a second hand book shop... I was going on a family holiday to greece.. so far as endings to books go, the count down from 100 to ooo was thrilling and I loved how gritty the atmosphere of the novel was... When I heard there was a film of it made I nearly died with excitement (slight exaggeration) - it is by far the worst book to film ever made.. even if it hadn't been taken from the book it sucked!!! I also write screenplays and I've always dreamt about remaking the running man, true to the story... Ben Richards going to the games federation, his kid dying, his wife turning tricks for old bucks to buy cheap dope for the baby!!! It has all the hallmarks of an amazing film... instead they changed the entire plot and let that musclebound "actor" Swarznigger play the role... I have faith in my own writing to take me where I want to go and hopefully one day I'll be able to make this situation right... I know that I would need the authors permission, and at the moment this is little more than a pipe dream - I'm not even sure if Stephen reads these messages although I'd be interested to hear what he thought of the movie... If you do read this Stephen I'd just like to thank you for your amazing contribution to the horror genre... I read a swedish novel let the right one in, where you were used as a comparison (and the person said they actually meant it) - however I still don't think anyone has come close to your standards yet, except perhaps myself :-) Everyone i speak to always says the shining is their favourite novel and I think it's definatly the best that's worked as a film, however the running man is one of my all time favourites.. and you have a few books in my all time favourites! So let me know what you thought about the running man movie if you should happen to read this and can reply to posts!

Default Re: The biggest travesty of a movie ever made!

It was not one of the better cinematic endeavors...

I liked the movie very much. I'm going to read that after "A Prayer For Owen Meany", and I'm going to separate the movie from the book as best as possible.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette86 View Post
    I liked the movie very much. I'm going to read that after "A Prayer For Owen Meany", and I'm going to separate the movie from the book as best as possible.
    Let me know what you think of "Owen Meany". It is in my top 2 or 3 that I've read.

Anyone who hasn't read it, go get it and read it.

Watched this at my uncle's place in Mt. Vernon, on the road, I was and I'd stopped by. Dunno where Aunt Bea was at the time...maybe chasing down Smart Aleck, my cousin. Heh! I didn't know this was "based on a story by Stephen King" until the credits rolled. The uncle and I loved the movie, thought it was great. They're down in New Mexico now, having tired of counting corn everywhere they went, that, and volunteer corn in the beans. Lookit all that corn!

I think the name is spelled Arnold Schwarzenegger

I read the book when I was young too.I loved it.It is one my favorites by Bachman.So after I finished the book.I rented the movie.Within the first 15 minutes I shut it of.Terrible Movie.I think they should do a remake of The Running Man.I just hope when the guy who's got the rights for The Long Walk movie doesn't fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Atik View Post
    .I think they should do a remake of The Running Man
    Hi,

Yes, I've been hoping this for many years too.

But I think 9/11 scuppered any chance of that.

Long days and pleasant nights

Grew up watching the movie. Classic Arnold. Just finished the book though, and gotta say that the film is a travesty. The book is SO much better. Loved it. Love all the Bachmans.

The book is great but, I love the movie for what it is. They are two totally different ideas, almost and I judge them almost completely separately.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast