This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UTD not SK's best work

Default UTD not SK's best work

I am a big fan of Stephen King and have many of his works in my personal library. Some I have read over and again eg Dark Tower.
    UTD was an exception and after finishing it I took the book to a charity shop and gave it away. The basic theme was interesting but the ending was so weak. When Barbie dons his lead suit I couldn't see why his companions fell into paroxysms of laughter. The behaviour of some of the characters was infantile. If this was typical of SK's work he would never have achieved the acclaim that he justly deserves.

Default Re: UTD not SK's best work

I thought it was a great novel, a lot of people have got lost on why the novel was so good in the first place just because they didn't like the ending. The joy is in the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BachmanKing9 View Post
    I thought it was a great novel, a lot of people have got lost on why the novel was so good in the first place just because they didn't like the ending. The joy is in the journey.
    Hi,

Aye, me too!

Welcome to the MB, and keep, posting!

Long days and pleasant nights

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDalglish View Post
    Hi,

Aye, me too!

You've already welcomed me John, but thankee much again.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDalglish View Post
    Hi,

Aye, me too!

Say sorry, I see you were welcoming Scimitar.

Quote Originally Posted by ScimitarMMM View Post
    I am a big fan of Stephen King and have many of his works in my personal library. Some I have read over and again eg Dark Tower.
    UTD was an exception and after finishing it I took the book to a charity shop and gave it away. The basic theme was interesting but the ending was so weak. When Barbie dons his lead suit I couldn't see why his companions fell into paroxysms of laughter. The behaviour of some of the characters was infantile. If this was typical of SK's work he would never have achieved the acclaim that he justly deserves.
    Aside from their laughter at his silly looking, improvised anti-radiation suit, what other behaviors are you talking about. I'm assuming that one point in the novel didn't ruin the book for you.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by 1BachmanKing9 View Post
    Many had problems with the ending but personally, I loved the ending. Even if I had not liked the ending, the journey was a joy and I still would have given it a big thumbs up.

It for me, was not his best effort-but I still enjoyed the hell out of it...despite the "weak" ending...

I get people who might be let down by the ending but I loved the book. King's strong suit is building characters with depth and color - real people that you can hear in your head when you read. I thought this book was a shining example of that strength.

I don't let the ending of a book determine if it is good book or not. If a book keeps my attention enough for me to finish it then it has been a good book. A good ending just makes it great. The Dome is an awesome story no matter the ending.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast