Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Devastated and Not Sure Why - Spoilers

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Devastated and Not Sure Why - Spoilers

Default Devastated and Not Sure Why - Spoilers

First-time long-time, board -- I have been eagerly awaiting activation all weekend to put this post out there.

I have loved SK's writing since I was a kid and read pretty much all of the canon. While there have been a lot of moments where 'the room got dusty' and my eyes leaked a bit of fluid (despite not being much of a cryer, like Jake) from SK writing, I was DEVASTATED by this book, and most of all Sadie's 'end.' Crushed. Overwhelmingly sad. Am I the only person feeling this way? More emotionally bothered than anything else he's read, including children

losing siblings to Pennywise, including the loss of Eddie Dean.
    Crushing!

The only thing I can logically ascribe this to is that as the husband of a 5-10 clumsy english major, Sadie's heartbreaking background and violation resonated with me more powerfully than has almost any other SK character. I can't put my finger on it, and have been, literally, depressed since last Thursday to the point that folks in the office say 'What's wrong' and I say 'I am depressed from the unfairness of time travel and the pain of a Texas school librarian.'

I still love you Stephen King, but boy have you made me sad. I've done nothing but dream that there will be a Tower-related story someday soon where either Jake or Sadie or preferably both get back together and, in one of those universes, Sadie is not disfigured and she and Jake are truly happy. Christ I sound like Annie Wilkes! Somebody help me.

Anyway big fan and have enjoyed lurking on this board for a long time. Keep up the good posts.

Default Re: Devastated and Not Sure Why - Spoilers

But Sadie was alive and well once Jake set foot thru the door again...cheer up! Everything can be reset by just a few steps!

I had the same feeling. I took this more as a romance novel than a save Kennedy novel and really got into the story of Jake and Sadie. I had hoped for a `happily ever after' ending

funny that you mention annie wilkes and you have that moniker....

welcome to the boards...i think....

Great post, and welcome to the board, kingslayer! Glad you decided to stop lurking and join in! As a true Tower Junkie, I was much more devastated at the loss of Eddie, Jake, and Oy...King just makes us care soooo much about his characters, and some we can identify with more than others. Sounds like that's what's happened to you with Sadie. But, fear not! You can take the ending and decide what you think happens next on your own...that's the nice thing about the way King leaves strings untied at the end of a lot of his stories...so, maybe Jake meets up with a much older Sadie...don't be sad!!

Our Inkslinger has always, always been gifted with a wonderful ability to make his characters seem so real that they might as well be drawing breath...but Sadie IS one special lady, and is in the top five of King's female leads IMO....

All I can say is... ME TOO!!!!

That he made you feel and care for the character means he did his job well. As a long time reader, you should know good people don't always fare well in his books. Not that evil necessarily triumphs, but that the cost of defeating evil is sometimes staggeringly high. I'm assuming you haven't finished...

keep going, there's resolution (of sorts).

DEAR GOD! This is exactly how I am feeling! I am so depressed with the ending I have had difficulty sleeping the past few nights!

I know better than to expect any type of specific ending from a Stephen King novel, however my mind had decided during the development of the relationship of Jake and Sadie that things would work out and they would live "happily ever after." How devastated I was with the actual conclusion! I'm with you, hopefully a story where they can be together, or an alternate ending, or something! SOMETHING TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER! Hahaha, I feel rather pathetic over my feelings towards this...but I have never been so affected by a book in my life, and I am an avid reader! A different conclusion is the only thing I have been thinking about since finishing the book.

One can only hope and dream...

Maybe we should start a recovery group?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast