This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Room 237: The Movie

Default Room 237: The Movie

Has anyone heard of this? This is premiering at the Sundance Film Festival this week. Apparently it's a documentary about the many interpretive theories behind the Kubrick version of The Shining.

Here's a link:
    http://filmguide.sundance.org/film/120136/room_237

Have you ever seen a hidden message?

In 1980 Stanley Kubrick released his classic horror film, The Shining. Loved and hated by equal numbers, the film is considered a genre standard by many loyalists, while other viewers dismiss it as the lazy result of a legendary director working far below his talent level. In between these two poles, however, live the conspiracy theories of ardent fans who are convinced they have decoded The Shining’s secret messages regarding genocide, government conspiracy, and the nightmare that we call history.

Rodney Ascher’s documentary, Room 237, fuses fact and fiction through interviews with the fans and scholars who espouse these theories, and reworking the film’s scenes forward and backward. Room 237 is about more than people who like a famous movie; its vision encompasses original intent, fair use, analysis, and criticism. It investigates what it means to be a fan—why do we need to find deeper meanings in film, and how do those insights change our lives? - M.P.

Default Re: Room 237: The Movie

Here's a more thorough review...this sounds like a must-see! I was a big fan of "Cinemania" which covered the lives of movie buffs, so this will be right up my alley.
    http://ebiri.blogspot.com/2012/01/su...-room-237.html

I'm still waiting for Room 227: Marla Gibbs and the destruction of modern communism...

....oh man...you said the "Kubrick" word...you....won't...like...me...when you say that....

You guys are a bunch of cards, you need to be dealt with...

An article about the documentary at the NY Times.

Yeah, listening to NPR this morning, they discussed ROOM 237 at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. I found it interesting that they discussed things about the movie, things about Kubrick, but not a mention of King in the NPR piece.

I was wondering if Mr. King was approached when they were making the documentary, if he was invited to Sundance for the viewing, and if he has any public opinions on the documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by zelmonster View Post
    I was wondering if Mr. King was approached when they were making the documentary, if he was invited to Sundance for the viewing, and if he has any public opinions on the documentary?
    My (fuzzy) recollection is that they did ask him about it but he didn't participate. I'm not sure that he's seen it to be able to comment.

Given SK's response to Kubrick's version, I'm guessing he's following the old maxim of "If you dont have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all"

It's about film fanatics and their theories about hidden messages in Kubrick's film.They could have made a documentary like this about alot of movies.It just happens to be about a film that is based on a Stephen King novel.I don't beleive their theories have anything to do with King.Hey!I have a theory about The Big Lebowski,wanna hear it?Didn't think so.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast