Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The "N" word

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "N" word

Default The "N" word

I'm just wondering why Mr King has to use the "N" word in just about all of his novels?

Default Re: The "N" word

The characters who use the word are the types of people who would so he is creating realistic dialogue and it creates a visceral reaction in most people to further connect to their distaste of a character because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    The characters who use the word are the types of people who would so he is creating realistic dialogue and it creates a visceral reaction in most people to further connect to their distaste of a character because of it.
    Precisely!!!!!....great summation ma'am.....

I don't think a day goes by where I don't here this word spoken on the streets, never from a white person, but I don't doubt that there are white racists out there who use the word on regular basis. If SK's characters didn't sometimes use the word, it would make for a less realistic read.

I'd be interested to see which books in particular you're talking about, and the time frame in the books. The word is used a lot in IT, in a 1958 setting, then by one of the same characters in the early 80s. I'm not saying it was right to use the word in previous decades, but it was used nonetheless. I grew up in the south and heard it a lot in the 60s and 70s, not as much after that, and certainly not by as many people. Not that the use of the word was confined to the south.
    And like Ms. Mod said, if King wants to portray a character in a negative light, one of the best ways to do that is through the words they speak.
    Valid question though, and if I hadn't read so much of King and noticed the time periods and types of character that use it, I'd have the same concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    yeh but its more embarrassment for the characters now than distaste, because i hear the kids here use it all the time and cringe. when i hear the young white, blackand yella ozzy kids say it- as in "waz up my ******" its all upside down to me

Its now moved onto something different, something sorta trendy- an americanism that has travelled.

is it an affectionate name calling now- i dont know, but if "jock bastad" is a term of endearement- maybe it is now.( being from scotland you see) and i still hear it on the terraces-

If a character uses the F*** word is he to be detested- because nowadays every other word is F*** When i try and write dialogue its everywhere because that is what we hear nowadays.

So N word, F word - I do not why we need to censor our writing to prevent offending. Something I find irratating on this board, considering the reason to what brought us all here- SKs sweary offending characters!

I know, I know, its for the kids- but they read his stuff too. Ns Fs Bs and the ever so shocking C word- one never to be uttered anywhere! ANYWHERE!

shame on you SK!

thanks ms Mod!

Also agreeing completely with Mod's original post up there, I'm adding that. . .

Sai King's non-fiction book On Writing offers a fairly suitable depiction as to why he can't spend his every waking moments worrying about who he's going to offend.

This should be in the FAQ's, it gets asked so often.

What interests me about this question is that, just for one example, in Flannery O'Connor's short story, A Good Man Is Hard To Find, the ONLY character that uses the N word is the grandmother, who is epically awful. AWFUL.
    Anyway, that character's use of the word (and various others) serves to illustrate one way in which she is awful. There are many other ways in which she is awful. I hate that character so much. Oi, I almost hate her more than Randall Flagg. No. I do hate her more than Randall Flagg. Ugh.

Anyway, it is literature. And powerful literature. And in my literature class, no one got upset and said "HOW COME SHE USES THE N WORD?"

The N word, for me anyway, is a powerful word. It grates on my brain like pumice. I actually hate it, and any other racial slur I've heard. They bug me. I wasn't raised that way. I hate it in Rap, i hate it Books, I would not, could not, say it in a bar, I will not, do not, say it in my car, etc. etc.

Sure gets my attention, though.

I'm with dsurett on this one.A great number of his books are based in the 50's where the word was more frequently used

Reminds of when Eddie Dean and Susannah first meet and are both shocked by what is considered normal slang in each others when time

ie Eddie using the word "blacks" which wasn't used in the 50's and 60's as an unoffensive term

my favorite Steve King N word scene of all time has got to be the one in IT where Mike Hanlon's father confronts Henry Bower's father (who then has a hard time in the moment of thinking of any sort of non-N-word form of address)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast