Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
New King readers: don't start with these books

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New King readers: don't start with these books

Default New King readers: don't start with these books

I've often talked to people who say they don't like Stephen King books, and when I ask them what they've read, it's often a "different" Stephen King book that isn't really representative of his entire body of work (at least, to me).

The purpose of this thread is not necessarily to criticize these books--I love these books, and some of these may be the perfect first book for some new readers, depending on what you know about their tastes. What you recommend as a first book to someone really depends on that person's personality. If they tell me they don't like horror, I'm not going to suggest they read "It", for example.

But lacking any other reader-specific information, here's my list of books that I recommend you should NOT read as your first King book.

The Dark Tower books
    The Eyes of the Dragon
    The Talisman (and Black House)
    Gerald's Game
    Insomnia

I'd like to hear what people think of these choices, and feel free to add any books you think aren't good first SK books to read.

Default Re: New King readers: don't start with these books

Agree with Dark Tower series, also Talisman and Black House. Disagree with Insomnia and Geralds Game. OK, Insomnia is a bit long winded, but I think it's a fine example of SK storytelling. The way it started out about one thing and ended up in a very different place and Geralds Game is IMO a very tight thriller. I wouldn't recommend From a Buick 8 as I don't think it's his finest hour.

Dreamcatcher
    The DT series

Lisey's Story
    Hearts in Alantis.

Start with short story collections.

Must say I agree with your choices fusfingfeef. Dark Towers gets way to envolved for a first read.

Start with The Stand

...good list Fush....kinda have to "sneak up on those" later...

The Gunslinger was my first SK book. Of course, I was eight, but I don't think anything else would have captured me the way it did. And, while it was frustrating at times, I didn't have to tackle the whole thing because it was still being written so I can see that it could scare people off. But I still have to disagree with your conclusions. The Gunslinger formed the rest of my life. And the Eyes of the Dragon?? What an AMAZING book. I would tell anyone who shies away from horror to read it first thing.

Whenever I have to recommend a SK first read if its an adult I usually recommend Night Shift or Skeleton Crew and if its a young adult that is just discovering the joy of reading I recommend The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon or Salem's Lot.

I'd say a first book should be as 'stand-alone' as possible. If the new reader likes vampires, then Salem's Lot would be a natural choice. If they don't like too much straight horror, I'd recommend Different Seasons or 11/22/63. The Green Mile would be a first good read. The Shining would be a good one. Almost everybody has seen the movie, and new readers would be surprised at how much the book and the movie differ.
    For which ones to NOT recommend off the bat, I'd agree with the Dark Tower books, though they're great. It's like swimming in the deep water - it's a lot of fun, but start off in the shallows. If someone is used to fast paced books, I wouldn't recommend Insomnia as a first book.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast