Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Stephen King's greatness

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's greatness

Unregistered Guest

Stephen King's greatness

I am an italian reader . I'd never read a story by S.King before this book and I've always thought of him as a simple horror' storyteller; after reading "Stand by me" I can say he lives in the same building of Victor Hugo or Ernst Hemingway or Tolstoi , his stories' strengh is astonishing !

Default Re: Stephen King's greatness

Yep. Because of his popularity and the mistaken perception that he only writes horror (not that there would be anything wrong with that) King gets a lot of snooty elitist attitude thrown his way, which IS quite unfair. Because he is good at what he does. Repeatedly, consistently, reliably good.

I'm no literary scholar, but I think there's quite a case to be made in comparing Stephen King to Charles Dickens. Both consistently productive, both storytellers of the people, both quite popular with their contemporary audiences—and I'll predict, King will be as well regarded by the next century's readers as Dickens is by this century's. (There are additional interesting parallels to point out, but I can't give everything away. I've just spontaneously decided that if I return to school to pick up my master's in lit, Stephen King vs. Charles Dickens shall be my thesis. So some of the secrets I must keep till then.)

Oh, there is nothing "simple" about Sai King's writing, as you have found out! What are you reading next? I'd suggest The Dead Zone, The Stand (if you're up for something really long), or The Talisman! Glad you've discovered the world of King!! Happy reading!

King is thee writer. His talents are amazing. I find so many things reading his books. Some of the characters seem so real,just as if i know them. Everytime I re-read a book I learn something new that I missed the first time. Always keeps my interest.Glad you are joining in on all these great reads.

I think everyone here would agree with you on those thoughts. Get a user name and join in the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    I think everyone here would agree with you on those thoughts. Get a user name and join in the fun!
    Ditto.Welcome to the board

...well done, sir or madam.....

he is a great writer this was a good read

I don't know anything about him, but it sounds interesting when i read your post. Can you please suggest me some of his writings to read as a start.

A while back I decided the book to recommend to first-timers is The Dead Zone. I also recommend that a person read some synopses of sK books in order to figure what they may like.

Wikipedia reference-linkStephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast