This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Barker

from modesto, california, now in knoxville, tennessee

Default Barker

Anyone here like Clive Barker? I liked his hellraiser movies but never read his stuff.

Default Re: Barker

I was really into his books back when he first started being published here in the states. I love his Books Of Blood collections. I stopped reading him after he went more towards the fantasy stuff. 'The Damnation Game' novel is an excellant start. His short story 'In The Hills, The Cities' is one I'll never forget! He definately took the horror genre to a whole 'nuther level! Pretty graphic stuff!

Big fan of his, although my interest has dropped off since the late 90's, and his publishing has slowed down too.

Start with "The Books of Blood" if you can find copies, then read "The Hellbound Heart" and "The Damnation Game". Then move on to "Cabal", "Weaveworld" and "The Great and Secret Show", and "Imajica".

I haven't read his more recent "Abarat" books which are aimed at the young adult market. I quite enjoyed the more recent "Mister. B. Gone", which was very interesting and fun.

I have a copy of Weaveworld, but I've never read it.

...his is a strange flavor on the old mental tongue, but I read everything he wrote-up to about the same point that FF did...then lost interest...his early stuff though is necessary reading as far as I'm concerned....

Quote Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
    I have a copy of Weaveworld, but I've never read it.
    It's a great book. One of my favorites!

from modesto, california, now in knoxville, tennessee

Awesome! I'll grab a copy of hellbound heart the first chance i get.

For some reason, I just can't make the leap to reading his stuff. I would love to read the Books of Blood though. The rest, just not real interested...