This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Wolves considered bad?

Default Why is Wolves considered bad?

I know books 5-7 in the series are very polarizing, and that there is a large group that flat out hate them. I just finished Wolves and I thought it was great; I just don't see it. Without spoiling books 6 or 7, why do some people consider this the start of the downfall of the series?

Default Re: Why is Wolves considered bad?

I remember being mildly disappointed with it when it first came out, and the reason was that it felt a bit like a detour, whereas I was hoping for it to represent more progress toward the Tower. But that had more to do with my expectations than with the book itself, which is a way of saying I was at fault, not the book.

Despite that, I enjoyed the hell out of it, and still do. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfilm View Post
    I know books 5-7 in the series are very polarizing, and that there is a large group that flat out hate them. I just finished Wolves and I thought it was great; I just don't see it. Without spoiling books 6 or 7, why do some people consider this the start of the downfall of the series?
    I may not have heard the specific complaint to which you refer, until now. It doesn't ring a bell. I've heard some say Wizard and Glass is their favorite of the DT series, for many it's The Drawing of the Three, for next to nobody it's The Gunslinger, for many it's The Dark Tower: VII, except the ending. Lately I seem to have heard folks saying Wolves is their favorite, but maybe that's only because it's mine and my need to hear from them causes me to.

What I'm beginning to really love about Stephen King is, among other things, his ability to draw feelings out of his readers. He's a feeling jerker. My sister finished DT, so I gave her a pile of sK. I said Misery's great. She started it but had to put it down, not because she got to a hard to read part, she reads way too fast for that to have been it. I know she was afraid of the feelings. I think she may have chosen Meyer instead (please don't hate her, she's a good person, just misguided sometimes).

Finally, my point is I think the wide variety of favorites among sK's Constant Readers shows the depth and height and breadth he reaches, and it's not just because he's willing to go for the gore if he has to. It's because he loves and respects his readers, and he's humble. He realizes he needs us, obviously not for a living; instead, I think he needs readers to continue accepting him. An artist needs that.

It's not my favorite but I don't think it's BAD. In a series that took that long to write, it's inevitable that the books have different tones and styles. And people have different tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    I may not have heard the specific complaint to which you refer, until now. It doesn't ring a bell. I've heard some say Wizard and Glass is their favorite of the DT series, for many it's The Drawing of the Three, for next to nobody it's The Gunslinger, for many it's The Dark Tower: VII, except the ending. .
    The Gunlinger is 100% my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    for next to nobody it's The Gunslinger
    Looks like I'm standing next to nobody, then...

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    The Gunlinger is 100% my favorite.
    Hey, lookit that! I'm not standing next to nobody, I'm standing next to Shasta!

Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    I stand corrected next to...I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    Yay! I have a friend in nobody-land!!

Nah, you aren't standing alone, friend.... your ol Uncle Louie is right beside ya!

I am about half way finished with Wolves, and I love it. Prior to Wolves, I considered Wizard my absolute favorite, but Im thinking Wolves is right on up there too. I don't know why anyone who loves the DT series to hate Wolves. I mean, I didnt particularly enjoy Waste Lands, but I wouldnt say I hate it at all.

I enjoy Wolves for many reasons. We are getting closer.... ever so closer to the Tower. In the previous 4 books the Tower seemed so far away, but now it seems closer.... I feel the pull... its getting stronger. I also happen to love the character of Father Callahan, and enjoyed his backstory very much on how he got to Mid World, and how he slummed around the hidden highways and NYC in Todash. Some minor things I love about it.... Andy the robot (I know there is something more to him that we dont know about at first)... there's the mystery of The Wolves (who are they.... what did they do with the poor kids?)... and of course, the roont ones... they tickle me..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast