Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Concluding thoughts.

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concluding thoughts.

Default Concluding thoughts.

I just finished this fantastic novel last night and thought I would share some of my personal insight about how I felt about the book. To start let me just say that I recently finished The Dark Tower series and the last 100-200 pages of 11/22/63 had me thinking it was going to have the same sort of ending so I was really pleased with how Stephen let this one end. Not saying I disliked the DT ending, I actually rather enjoyed it, just didn't want the same ending here.

The idea of the novel is phenomenal and I applaud all the legwork, research, and creativity that King and his colleagues invoked to complete this novel. People may say it's not his "typical" genre, but if you read the last 50 pages or so its pretty damn scary in context. From the first few pages and the story of The Dunning family I was completely hooked. The writing and character use was unmatched in my opinion. Very well done sir. This is one of his books that has me reeling for a movie adaptation (no pun intended).

To conclude, I would like to touch on the ending a little more. The endings in my opinion are what really set King apart in his mastery of story telling. He doesn't bring you back to that happy place or heroic thought on many occasions, which is what I love. However, in this novel I was really satisfied, for lack of a better word at how he portrayed the ending to this one. Of course a part of me wanted to see Mr and Mrs.

Amberson
    in the 60's or even in 2011 but I thoroughly enjoyed this novel in its entirety.

Default Re: Concluding thoughts.

...well said, well said...

I think anybody with a good heart would want to see GA and SD in 2011.....12 and 13. Love is a strange and beautiful thing...a mystery to some. It hurt like hell to read the ending but I agree with you marleyboy....I thoroughly enjoyed this story as well!!!

Btw, huts like hell, in my book, is a compliment. Shouldn't love hurt...at times? Makes us feel alive....

I also just finished 11/22/63, and I was completely blown away. Could not put it down, did not want to finish and the story be over. Jake Epping is now one of my new favorite literary characters. I love when SK makes a character so realistic it feels like they're sitting beside us narrating the story. And since I started this book, I can't stop riding through my home town wondering what it would be like to step outside into the year 1958. The love story was one to be treasured, and I really liked how it wasn't necessarily love at first sight, but rather we got to see how Jake's love for Sadie grew over time. I've recommended this book to dozens of people since I finished, because I feel like the world is missing out not reading this story. It is definitely my new favorite SK creation!

soo, Lincoln next Mr. King?

I kid.....sorta

Ms Mod, is the use of the name Amberson in 11/22/63 a literary nod by SK to Don Robertson's characters name in the beautiful novel 'Praise The Human Season'? I know SK has done this type of thing before. That book (PTHS) is one of the most moving, real and heartfelt (and in parts funny!) novels about the love two people have for each other that I've ever read. I highly recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    Ms Mod, is the use of the name Amberson in 11/22/63 a literary nod by SK to Don Robertson's characters name in the beautiful novel 'Praise The Human Season'? I know SK has done this type of thing before. That book (PTHS) is one of the most moving, real and heartfelt (and in parts funny!) novels about the love two people have for each other that I've ever read. I highly recommend it!
    Not that I know of but would have to ask him to be sure.

I'm sure you have all you can handle without asking Mr. King about this. Shoot me his cell number and I'll do that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Not that I know of but would have to ask him to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    I'm sure you have all you can handle without asking Mr. King about this. Shoot me his cell number and I'll do that for you.
    That would certainly speed up the retirement date!

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    That would certainly speed up the retirement date!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast