Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Sacramento High School considering banning Different Seasons

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Sacramento High School considering banning Different Seasons

Default Sacramento High School considering banning Different Seasons

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/16/491...fights-to.html

A high school received complaints about a graphic scene in Different Seasons, and they voted to ban the book. The superintendent overturned their decision, and now the district is reviewing the ban to decide if the book is appropriate for students.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Default Re: Sacramento High School considering banning Different Seasons

Just another helpin' of seriously crazy *#@^ instigated by a complete nitwit and championed by the truly ignorant....wht, too strong?

The editorial Stephen wrote many years ago for the Bangor Daily News still applies for how he feels about book bannings in schools. You can read his thoughts on this type of censorship here.

Thanks you the link MsMod. The message is loud and clear and spot on. Hope a student will print out a copy and post on the school bulletin board.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
    http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/16/491...fights-to.html

A high school received complaints about a graphic scene in Different Seasons, and they voted to ban the book. The superintendent overturned their decision, and now the district is reviewing the ban to decide if the book is appropriate for students.
    This is so insulting, I don't know where to begin. Maybe here: "...after a parent complained about a graphic rape scene in the short story "Apt Pupil."

- This reason for banning the book makes about as much sense as Mitt Romney arguing that children of single parents are the individuals who are most responsible for the rise in crime connected to assault weapons. WTF??? Does this parent really believe that high school students will draw the conclusion that it's okay to rape after reading a story that includes a rape scene? If he/she does, then that parent does not give high school students for having a brain, or other parents for having taught their kids that rape is wrong in ALL circumstances. Like I said.....insulting beyond belief.

...can they be cranking the school furnace up to Fahrenheit 451??...idiots....

I've just finished fitting a kitchen for my ex English teacher,and she gave me a load of books to read.I asked her if she had read any SK books,to which she gave the old "he's too scary" speech.I've decided to get her copy of Different Seasons if she doesn't like Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and The Body there's no hope for her.After them two novellas she can ease herself into the darker side of King with Apt Pupil and The Breathing Method

they dont have the right to that