Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
11/22/63 - Another masterpiece!

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11/22/63 - Another masterpiece!

Default 11/22/63 - Another masterpiece!

Hey
    First time poster on any forum ever, but I found this one completely by accident and after reading through a lot of the threads, felt compelled to come on and say how much I LOVE Stephen Kings books and particulary 11/22/63. Not having been from the time or the place to have really been personally affected by the JFK story, I was still fascinated from the first line. So many aspects and twists and tie ins that Mr King does, in the way he does best! Have read almost all of Stephen Kings books over the last 15 years (although I have to admit, even though I am getting there, I haven't read the Dark Tower series yet!!!). I can't help but love his work. Am a huge fan of the way most of his books tie in with the others, even if it is just a sentence or a subtle mention. Not only is it brilliant writing, it kind of gives you both a subtle but exponential sense of being 'in on the secret' . Also being from a country that's quite a way from America, none of the locations, or even the brand names of anything are personally familiar to me, but it hardly matters, because (as Mr King does best!), he draws his readers into his writing in a way that makes you feel like you are living the story! That was all for now, sorry for the long post
    P.S - When it comes to errors and mistakes etc... (as I have read a few threads about them), my opinion (and thats all it is!) is that once you open the book, you're in Stephen King world.... where anything can happen or change, and never mind about reality Keep going Mr King, you're a legend!!

Default Re: 11/22/63 - Another masterpiece!

You pretty much summed up exactly how I felt. I am a 30 year old Englishman, and as such, I was not really personally connected to the impact or legacy of JFK, nor was I aware of many of the 50's brands mentioned, but as King has a way of doing, by the end, I wanted to go to the Kennebec fruit shop and try a Moxie, or a 10 cent root beer with a scoop of ice cream and have a chat with Frank Anicetti.

I also felt the same way about the tie in with

I think I may read it again soon, I really did enjoy it so much.

Also being from a country that's quite a way from America, none of the locations, or even the brand names of anything are personally familiar to me, but it hardly matters, because (as Mr King does best!), he draws his readers into his writing in a way that makes you feel like you are living the story!
    ...that is eloquent, and something I've not seen stated so simply yet beautifully...

Also, from what I have read on here, the Dark Tower series is definitly worth a read? I have a feeling that reading it will open up my eyes to a lot more in the King Universe?

Quote Originally Posted by kylallie View Post
    Also, from what I have read on here, the Dark Tower series is definitly worth a read? I have a feeling that reading it will open up my eyes to a lot more in the King Universe?
    Welcome to the SKMB and keep posting.
    Definitely read the Dark Tower series. You will enjoy it!

This book was one of my favorites and I found it to be brilliant writing.

Having read and enjoyed most of SK's books I can say that to date 11/22/63 is my favourite, i am half way through now hopefully the ending wont change my view on this but to date "i just can't put it down" . in my opinion that factor is money well spent im not bothered about historical error (just hope i never quote them one day )
    So all in all i am a happy bunny who will be late for work if I don't get myself in gear and move

I hope Sk will read this! Dear Mr. King. Currently my body is sitting in my chair in the editorial in Budapest, Hungary, and TONS of articles are waiting to be written in the next few days, but my soul remained in Jodie, Texas in 1962. Today I won't be a working class hero, I'm sure. I can hardly wait what will be on the next page. I haven't felt such a feeling long time ago. Writing articles on economy for a few thousand readers is great, believe me, but telling stories to millions of people could be a really beautiful job. Thank you for 11/22/63. L

you got to read it kylalie, its one of the best work of SK

The Dark Tower took me forever to get to also. Do it. I am still mad at myself for rejecting them when they came out.

And, feel guilty for the fine folks here who had to wait for the next book.

Make yourself a tooterfish popkin, sit down and get started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast