Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Anyone else find it heartbreaking?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else find it heartbreaking?

Unhappy Anyone else find it heartbreaking?

I have just finished IT for the second time and it has struck me once again that above all other things this novel is (terrifying, funny, witty etc) it is also deeply upsetting in places. I have seen posts on here about hoe brilliant, scary and disturbing the book is but none eloborate on the sheer sadness and im wondering if its just me who cries in places.

Some (but not all) parts which I find almost unbearably sad and which stay with me after I put the book down:

George's death and most specifically the way Bill remembers the last moments with him.

Ben's childhood. The bullying. His unrequited love for Bevvy. I find the part where he decides to spend his pocket money on a postcard and writes her the poem so sweet and sad. Also later when he tells her that shed laugh in his face if a boy like him wrote the poem.

Mikes memories of his dying father.

Mr chips being poisoned.

Eddies death and them leaving him in the dark sewers.

Bev seeing Stan and Eddy in the mirror one last time when they are both dead

The fact their friendship breaks apart and after the promise they never are together again (all 7 at least)

The fact they all forget each other and what they shared except in dreams. The last line of the book was heartbreaking.

Default Re: Anyone else find it heartbreaking?

...it's not just you...I have shed tears over the sadness, but also the joy that is found amongst the varying degrees of darkness....

that is why his writing is so brilliant,it mirrors life so well..the ups,downs,fears,and yes the sadness too.I think he draws you into his world while you recall bits and pieces or your own past..wonderful talent,imo..

I have always found the ending incredibly sad. To go through all that, with such amazing companions and dear friends...and then to forget it all, and forget your dearest friends? Breaks my heart. My husband, on the other hand thinks it was the perfect ending; because who would want to remember the terror and pain? I don't know...if remembering the terror and pain meant keeping my closest friends, I'd want to remember. I think.

It is not just you. I am also on my 2nd read and while I dont cry ever from books, parts of it are very upsetting, and thankfully on a 2nd read I already know that

Bevs friend gets violently beaten, and Mikes dog gets slowly poisoned
    so I skipped over those bits, and will probably do so for a few other hard to read parts.

Everything you just listed, made the tears well up in my eyes again. I just finished the book a few days ago, and especially the closing words about what Bill dreams about was so touching, sad, yet beautiful. That two parts about the dogs dying... Mr. Chips, and the dog with Patrick... made me drop the book and ball my eyes out. I love Stephen King, but man... he is a dog killer with his stories.

I also hated how they left Eddie down there... but it seemed very realistic. The fact they they all started to forget each other, was so saddening.

[QUOTE=dallaspowers81;551115]Everything you just listed, made the tears well up in my eyes again. I just finished the book a few days ago, and especially the closing words about what Bill dreams about was so touching, sad, yet beautiful. That two parts about the dogs dying... Mr. Chips, and the dog with Patrick... made me drop the book and ball my eyes out.
    Dallas not to be funny,but that is "BAWL my eyes out.." the way you wrote it has, I am sure, unintended sexual connotations..ok,it was a little funny..

Quote Originally Posted by mjs9153 View Post
    Dallas not to be funny,but that is "BAWL my eyes out.." the way you wrote it has, I am sure, unintended sexual connotations..ok,it was a little funny..
    I'm sorry, but I don't see what the "unintended sexual connotations" of Dallas' misspelling could be...I'm open to being enlightened, though. We all make spelling errors at some point or other, if other people are anything like me they could cringe when they realise and don't have the means to edit the post and rectify the mistake. I'm sure Ms Mods workload would be vastly increased if we all started commenting on each error individually.

one of my favs. yes please dont bawl me out if I spell wrong or type something inaccurately. if I cant trust you all I will just have to leave here. I want to discuss kings works and try to understand as best I can.I often get in a hurry and goof upbut I mean well.
    The sadness in IT really hits a nerve with me. its something I know alot about. If I had lived in Derry during that time I would likely have been a Loser. probably a newly moved into the area loser like Ben. I think many of us feel the same about one character or another at some point in our life. I think Jake from DT was a Loser all alone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CCAL View Post
    one of my favs. yes please dont bawl me out if I spell wrong or type something inaccurately. if I cant trust you all I will just have to leave here. I want to discuss kings works and try to understand as best I can.I often get in a hurry and goof upbut I mean well.
    There won't be any bawling out from here...your sentiments are correct. Not everyone is perfect at reading/writing but that doesn't make their contributions towards discussions any less valid.

IT has always been my favourite novel. I love the natural progression of the Losers friendships from childhood to adulthood, as soon as they start to remember the past their bonds are quickly reaffirmed. Proof that real friendship doesn't die, even though things can easily be forgotten. IT is a very bittersweet story, and so much more than just horror when you look beneath the surface.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast