Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Sitting is the new smoking

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sitting is the new smoking

Default Sitting is the new smoking

I read this for the first time on the weekend. As a person who spends the majority of the day sitting this really got me thinking. I have been googling it and reading about it. It's been seven years since I became a medical transcriptionist and now I am starting to think that my job is slowly killing me. Between sitting on the ride to work, sitting all day at work and then sitting again on the way home plus sometimes feeling so fatigued that I just want to sit in front of the boob tube when I get home I am kinda thinking maybe I need a new line of work. I do enjoy my job but I care about my health, too. Looks like I better focus on squeezing some more activity into my day unless I want to die early. Has anyone here on the message board heard that expression yet? i.e. "Sitting is the new smoking" or is this just the latest way to get people all riled up?

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: Sitting is the new smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    I read this for the first time on the weekend. As a person who spends the majority of the day sitting this really got me thinking. I have been googling it and reading about it. It's been seven years since I became a medical transcriptionist and now I am starting to think that my job is slowly killing me. Between sitting on the ride to work, sitting all day at work and then sitting again on the way home plus sometimes feeling so fatigued that I just want to sit in front of the boob tube when I get home I am kinda thinking maybe I need a new line of work. I do enjoy my job but I care about my health, too. Looks like I better focus on squeezing some more activity into my day unless I want to die early. Has anyone here on the message board heard that expression yet? i.e. "Sitting is the new smoking" or is this just the latest way to get people all riled up?
    If you are in a situation where you sit too much at your job, try altering a few of your habits during the day and create a little extra exercise for yourself. Always take the stairs (and take them two at a time if you can). Park far away and walk a little more (this will also save your car doors from being banged in). If you have enough time at your lunch hour, take a walk (even if it's just 6 or 10 minutes). If you can come up with several things like that to do during the day, it will help.

I hadn't heard this. I'd be interested to see what you read.

I do know that sitting is dangerous though. I have a 90 minute drive to work, I sit for eight and a half hours, then a 90 minute drive home. I'm also so exhausted by the time I get home that I lay on the couch as soon as I walk in.

I do, though, try to walk around the office throughout the day. And I am fairly lucky in that often I have to pull samples from our huge warehouse throughout the day so that helps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post

I do know that sitting is dangerous though. I have a 90 minute drive to work, I sit for eight and a half hours, then a 90 minute drive home. I'm also so exhausted by the time I get home that I lay on the couch as soon as I walk in.

I do, though, try to walk around the office throughout the day. And I am fairly lucky in that often I have to pull samples from our huge warehouse throughout the day so that helps as well.
    Wow - you sound like a lot of people (if what I read is correct). I only wish I could "pull samples" or something like that. I am ex military and used to be in great shape. Now I look at myself and go Yikes! What happened? I have a membership at the gym and used to go there every day after work. Then I got sick and stopped going back around mid October. I am going to have to make a point of going there even if just to do the treadmill and maybe a bit of weight training as well. Maybe you could get some exercise running from that cat with the big gun (ha ha) Nice picture, actually

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    I have a membership at the gym and used to go there every day after work.
    It's SO hard to get motivated. I live five blocks from the beach and even that doesn't seem to motivate me for a walk!

I'll be putting out the gym motivation vibes for you!

Here's one of many articles on the subject. In my opinion, too much of ANYTHING is bad for you, because standing all day has its drawbacks as well--just ask a waitress!
    http://news.yahoo.com/too-much-sitti...200408243.html

I drive for two jobs, but I'm usually in and out of my vehicles. But most of my time on the clock is sitting behind the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post

Do you also work in LA?

Standing does definitely present drawbacks of its own.....As a hairstylist, I've stood to work for over 27 years, and my back, knees and feet sometimes pay the price. I will say that my calves do have excellent muscle tone, though!
    Even though I stand all day, my doctor told me that it is important to get some cardio exercise every day....I sometimes walk, or dance around the house like a nut.
    I enjoy the dancing......my daughter doesn't. LOL

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    Standing does definitely present drawbacks of its own.....As a hairstylist, I've stood to work for over 27 years, and my back, knees and feet sometimes pay the price. I will say that my calves do have excellent muscle tone, though!
    Even though I stand all day, my doctor told me that it is important to get some cardio exercise every day....I sometimes walk, or dance around the house like a nut.
    I enjoy the dancing......my daughter doesn't. LOL
    On the plus side, I read that people that stand at their jobs have fewer kidney issues than people that sit.

Quote Originally Posted by nate_watkins View Post
    I drive for two jobs, but I'm usually in and out of my vehicles. But most of my time on the clock is sitting behind the wheel.

Do you also work in LA?
    I live in LA, work in the valley.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast