This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandy Storm Victim-Lost all our books...

Default Sandy Storm Victim-Lost all our books...

My Husband and I lost all of our books -our entire collection of Stephen King books in the storm (along with our furnace, hot water heater, washer/dryer, bathroom etc). Our house flooded a little over 4 feet in Hoboken and of course we are not covered for contents. In fact we aren't sure what we will be covered for as that is still up in the air with our flood insurance.
    Does anyone know where I can buy a used collection to surprise my husband for Christmas? He was the one who turned me on to SK to begin with, and he is heartbroken over our loss of the collection-especially The Gun Slinger series.
    Thanks-L

Default Re: Sandy Storm Victim-Lost all our books...

...many kind hearted souls here can hook you up-both with info and locations....

Am so sorry for all you lost in the storm. Many appear to be having issues with their insurance as well as FEMA. Keep checking back to this thread- a great group here on the SKMB. May I also suggest keeping an eye out at Goodwill/Salvation Army/Library bag sales. Sending finding vibes your way.

This is going to take some shopping around, I don't really think you'll be able to buy an entire collection in one location, so you'll have to go to multiple sources. Shopping online (Amazon, eBay) will give you the lowest prices but watch out for shipping costs. If you want good hardbacks that you can check on the quality before you buy, try going to a Half Price Books, they usually have a robust selection of SK titles.

Sorry to hear you were hit hard by the hurricane--thank goodness the things you lost can be replaced.

So sorry about your loss due to the storm.
    It will take some time, and some shopping around to rebuild your collection.
    In addition to what others have mentioned, David at Betts Books is extremely trustworthy and helpful. Betts is an online bookstore specializing in Stephen King.
    Also, you should join the forum at thedarktower.org......everyone there is very helpful and quite knowledgeable.
    Best of luck ♥

I am so sorry for your loss and all that you're having to go thru with the mess, clean up and the stupid insurance companies. I would start checking out any used bookstores and/or any thrift stores in your area. You would be amazed at what you can find at these types of stores. Hardbacks usually go for around $3-4 at thrift stores. Good luck with everything!

I've gotten great deals from Amazon used book sellers. I hope you can find what you want in time.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my entire collection to a flood in 2010, so I can relate to how you feel. I've been able to recover what I lost through thrift stores, used book stores, yard sales, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. It's been a lot of work, but well worth the effort.

We're not in a flood zone; tornadoes are more the thing here. So ... maybe I should keep the books we really care about in the basement.

I just realized in our plans to (eventually) finish the basement, we don't have NEAR enough bookshelves. Whew. Thank goodness I thought of that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    We're not in a flood zone; tornadoes are more the thing here. So ... maybe I should keep the books we really care about in the basement.

I just realized in our plans to (eventually) finish the basement, we don't have NEAR enough bookshelves. Whew. Thank goodness I thought of that now.
    Hi! Even by putting the books in your basement you will still have to protect them from moisture. If a tornado rips off your roof (which I whole-heartedly hope and pray that never happens) there will be rain along with the wind. It's hard to know exactly what to do to insure our SK books don't get ruined by whatever comes along. Your best insurance is to have them insured. Talk to your insurance company and find out if they require an additional 'rider' for your books. I was with Farmers before and they did. The company I am with now does not, although I had to add another $20,000 in coverage. And, keep detailed records and photos of what you have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast