Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Subway Death

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subway Death

Default Subway Death

(Please place where appropriate, Ms. Mod.)

Has anyone else been following this story?

Suspect confesses in pushing death of Queens dad in Times Square subway station

After having words, a homeless man pushed another man onto the tracks of a subway just before a train came into their station. The other man died of his injuries a few hours later. But the real controversy surrounding the death focuses on a freelance photographer's images snapped during the fray, from when the victim was first thrown onto the tracks to the attempted treatments after he was struck. The photographer dropped the photos at the New York Post offices and one was used as the December 4th cover, which also stirred a great deal of controversy. The whole situation is very sad, but I wondered what SKMBers thought of it all.

Default Re: Subway Death

I think that even if the photographer couldnt reach the man to save him, he has one hell of a jaded personality to stand there and snap pics of the poor buggers death.

That's what I was thinking at first, too, but the article said he was taking pictures as he was running toward the man and hoping the flash from his camera would catch the attention of the train conductor.

The photographer claims that he was just activating the flash so that the train would see a commotion. He also claims that there were plenty of people closer that could have helped.

What really bothers me is that all the places that "condem" publishing the photos show it as well.

I feel awful for the man and his family and I think is all too much.

That's the NY Post for you. They have no qualms when it comes to sensationalism.

Well if he wasn't "running and snapping pictures" he sure came up with a good story for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    The photographer claims that he was just activating the flash so that the train would see a commotion. He also claims that there were plenty of people closer that could have helped.

What really bothers me is that all the places that "condem" publishing the photos show it as well.

I feel awful for the man and his family and I think is all too much.
    The photographer claims this, and yet he had no problem selling the photos.....
    Just my opinion, but the only people who should have seen those photos are law enforcement personnel.

I feel so bad for the family of this poor man.

...I think it's a complete/tragic "balls up"...muckraking, sensationalistic media and legendary Big Apple callousness...anybody remember the infamous Kitty Genovese case?....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I think it's a complete/tragic "balls up"...muckraking, sensationalistic media and legendary Big Apple callousness...anybody remember the infamous Kitty Genovese case?....
    Yup, old enough to have heard it at the time.

There are heros, and then there are bystanders.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast