This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King at Lowell, MA - A Constant Reader's Note

Default Stephen King at Lowell, MA - A Constant Reader's Note

Anyone else go to the event? I wanted to say it was an awesome event. When reaching the arena, I was impressed with the number of people that were already seated waiting for Stephen King's arrival on stage. I would say it was a mix between adults and college students. I rushed through the crowd, tripping over a few people and on the stairs, as I looked for the perfect seat. Luckily, I saw an empty spot down below right in front of the floor seats. I was asked by those seated next to me "Are you alone?" Indeed, I actually flew down from Cleveland to attend the event. It was wonderful to chat with so many Stephen King fans around me. On the stage were two chairs and we all debated if we had chosen the correct side or would be looking at King's back. We were all relieved when he came out (to a roar of the crowd) and sat in the chair facing us. From then on, I think I was in awe of the situation. I was in the same room with the author I had admired for years. The bonus - he was speaking! It was also like a rock concert. People were cheering, including me.
    My favorite part was when he read his new story "Afterlife" He pulled out several printed pages, which I imagined came directly from his home computer. From the worker behind the desk mispronouncing the dead man's name (which was on purpose I think) to the way King brought out secrets of the two men in the story, but then still left some untold, it was a typical masterpiece.
    I guess the biggest disappointment of the event was myself. I didn't bring the right camera and didn't move fast enough for the question and answer portion of the event. In my mind, I didn't expect to talk to him and I didn't know what question to ask. Silly me, I didn't have one in mind when I came. I was just focused on going to the event. The last person to ask a question, King told her to make it a good one. If I got that chance, I would have asked (because I do wonder) With having such a large collection of stories and billions (or is it millions) of words under his belt, I wonder how much editing or rewriting he does now. If you listened to the story "Afterlife" (which I hope it means that he is coming out with a new short story collection soon.) it's pretty flawless.
    However, honestly, I am just happy I made the event because I had so much fun listening to him.
    By the way, I did lock my rental car doors, but still checked my backseat anyway. You never know, a maniac might have the right tools to get in, even though you locked your doors. Thanks Stephen King for coming to Lowell!

Sincerely,
    Constant Reader, Angela

Default Re: Stephen King at Lowell, MA - A Constant Reader's Note

Sounds like you had an awesome time! I've been in the same hall with SK twice now, hearing him speak. There's nothing like being in the same place, hearing your favorite author chat!! Wish I coulda been there myself for this one. Maybe next time.......

As Kingricefan says Sounds you had a great time. Wish I someday have chance to see him live somewhere (don't think
    that happen) or maybe hear him read. I saw a video clip from youtube when he read from afterlife and have to say
    that I just love to hear him read and his stories are so fun and exciting.

I watched the link Ms. Mod posted (say thankya) and I was laughing out loud during the Q&A's

Too funny our Sai is.

..."and they lived happily ever after, at least until they got to their car and the maniac in the back seat found them...The End..."

Quote Originally Posted by agartner View Post
    If I got that chance, I would have asked (because I do wonder) With having such a large collection of stories and billions (or is it millions) of words under his belt, I wonder how much editing or rewriting he does now.
    That's a really good question. I always wonder that about any author I enjoy, especially one who's been writing for such a long time. Does the writing style remain static ... or does it change over time? Do they get faster at it? Or do they find themselves struggling more? Or is the work simply the work and the approach they take so organic and natural that they were always going to write that way, no matter what?

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ..."and they lived happily ever after, at least until they got to their car and the maniac in the back seat found them...The End..."
    I remember SK saying that about the car at the end of his talk in Sarasota and believe me it was the first time I ever ck'd the back seat before entering!
    So glad you had a great time, agartner. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Each story is different as to how much editing is required. Certain things become more second-nature with practice but even Steve has some stories that come more easily than others. And it also depends on his editors as to how much they think needs changing. He doesn't make every change they suggest, but he hasn't reached the point (and probably no author ever should) that he isn't at least open to their suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    I remember SK saying that about the car at the end of his talk in Sarasota and believe me it was the first time I ever ck'd the back seat before entering!
    So glad you had a great time, agartner. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Aw, now the ending's ruined for me.

Gnt, you have to make that pic a "caption this" in the social groups!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast