Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Question about the end of Tim's tale (spoilers)

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Question about the end of Tim's tale (spoilers)

Default Question about the end of Tim's tale (spoilers)

So I finished TWTTKH last night, and I was quite pleased. It was a fantastic read, and worthy of the Dark Tower series, for sure, say thankya.

I realize that Maerlyn just "is". Not necesarily good or evil.... white or black... just.... is. He almost reminds me of the Zodac character on Masters of the Universe, who was sort of god-like, yet not really "good" or "bad". He was known as a cosmic figure, known to aid both good and evil, when needed. A mysterious, rarely seen character in the Masters Of the Universe canon.

Anyhow, I digress..

I loved the ending of the Fairly Tale portion. How Maerlyn had been turned into a tyger by Big Red and put into a cage up by the Dogan. But I was kind of wondering..

1) Where did the feather, medicine bottle, and napkin come from? I assume they were taken from Maerlyn when he was taken from his cave, and put into the lock box to torment Maerlyn in his tyget form. Could be wrong though.

also..

2) How did RF know that Tim would find the tyger? My idea is that RF lured Tim into the swamp, believing he would be killed by the dragon and crocs. But how did RF know that Tim would find the tyger at the Dogan, or did he know? The story made it seem like RF thought Tim would end up shooting the tyger.

Default Re: Question about the end of Tim's tale (spoilers)

RF always has contingency plans. He intends A, but if not A then B and if not A or B then C, etc.

For example,

he sent Callahan to the Callas as a trap for Roland, even though he didn't think Roland would ever get that far. But just in case...

There's also the question of whether

the tyger was a trap for Tim or vice versa.

...I know it's a catch-all, but seems to be the easiest and most complete answer....Ka....

You guys saying, "ka", must be the Mid World equivalent of my dad telling me "because I said so" when I was a kid! haha

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    You guys saying, "ka", must be the Mid World equivalent of my dad telling me "because I said so" when I was a kid! haha
    Not really. Sometimes thats just the way it is.

I figure Maerlyn, because of who he is, can't be killed without taking on a serious curse. So, very RF style, what you want to do is dupe someone else into killing him. Why all the danger in the swamp that might have killed Tim before he tried? Why else would anyone give him a gun he could use to kill Maerlyn with?

As for the magic items, maybe they were necessary to make it Tim's choice that kills Maerlyn, and sidestep the curse. Otherwise, he'd just be a servant of RF.