This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dedicated to William and Wendy

Default dedicated to William and Wendy

There are sooo many threads here I was not sure where to put my thoughts on the novel so I started my own.

A simple story that still grabs you and very well written. One of the best written novels I have read by Stephen King. I have lots to say about the novel but I don't have too much time today. I will continue on the subject later. For now, I sometimes wonder what Stephen King likes so much about the names William (Bill) and Wendy. I believe I know why but, do most readers realize or ask themselves? I would be interested in your thoughts on the subject.

Pangborn (hope I remembered the name right) reminds me of a Sheriff Stephen King. You think he could hand-finger shadow Stephen? lol.

Default Re: dedicated to William and Wendy

...easy to read names for incidental yet crucial characters perhaps???....

Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I've given a lot of thought to the names SK chooses for his stories. Most are run-of-the-mill generic names (selected, I think, so the average person can relate to them), some are slightly unusual, some are cutesy (like William and Wendy), and some are just downright cool (like Alain, for example; LOVE that name). I've noticed that he doesn't go too much for the trendy names that are popular at the time he's writing his stories. I mean, if SK wrote a story involving children today, set in the present, do you think he would call any of them Jayden, Madison, Avery, or Liam? Does anyone else give the names he chooses a lot of consideration? Or am I the only one with too much free time?

I think he has to give the names serious consideration but being a gifted writer, he probably doesn't have to dwell on it too long. Good writers like SK know to avoid using names that will confuse the reader, but can also put in little symbolisms like the initial (RF, JC for example).

Isn't Liam just a normal name?

I went to school with a few Liam's 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthe3rd View Post
    Isn't Liam just a normal name?

I went to school with a few Liam's 25 years ago.
    It hasn't been that common a name here--or at least any part of the U.S. where I've lived including Massachusetts which has a high percentage of Irish ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...easy to read names for incidental yet crucial characters perhaps???....
    Too easy of an explanation. I am very sure that William (and all the Bills) and Wendy are people close to Stephen King or perhaps spiritual inspirations that he has named Will and Wendy. That is my theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Gust View Post
    Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I've given a lot of thought to the names SK chooses for his stories. Most are run-of-the-mill generic names (selected, I think, so the average person can relate to them), some are slightly unusual, some are cutesy (like William and Wendy), and some are just downright cool (like Alain, for example; LOVE that name). I've noticed that he doesn't go too much for the trendy names that are popular at the time he's writing his stories. I mean, if SK wrote a story involving children today, set in the present, do you think he would call any of them Jayden, Madison, Avery, or Liam? Does anyone else give the names he chooses a lot of consideration? Or am I the only one with too much free time?
    You are not nerdy and, obviously not the only one who gives thoughts to the character's names. Myself, also a writer, like to choose the names of my characters with a combination of inspiration, a play with letters and spelling, names that fit the character and her or his style, and names that fit the times of the story's setting.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    I think he has to give the names serious consideration but being a gifted writer, he probably doesn't have to dwell on it too long. Good writers like SK know to avoid using names that will confuse the reader, but can also put in little symbolisms like the initial (RF, JC for example).
    For me, when writing fiction, I usually do not need long to come up with the right name for any character. Once in a while I do come to a 'name block' but, it never lasts long. I am not sure why but, you are correct fushingfeef. It is almost as if the characters already know what names they want or have an idea, at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast