Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dark Tower question

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Dark Tower question

Default Dark Tower question

Hello.

Mayhap been posted before. I am reading the Tower at the moment and I am currently half way through The Waste Lands. After Wizard and Glass should I read The Wind Through The Keyhole before moving onto The Wolves of The Calla?

OR

Should I read them all and then read TWTTK after?

Cheers

Default Re: Dark Tower question

Check out this thread- it might help provide some thoughts/ answers.
    http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...xt-Book-5-or-8

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan's Beak View Post
    Hello.

Mayhap been posted before. I am reading the Tower at the moment and I am currently half way through The Waste Lands. After Wizard and Glass should I read The Wind Through The Keyhole before moving onto The Wolves of The Calla?

OR

Should I read them all and then read TWTTK after?

Cheers

Id suggest reading TWTTKH after you are done with the series, not after Wizard and Glass.

I have a couple of reasons..

1) TWTTKH is basically 2 mini novellas in one book, both of which are prequels to the events of The Gunslinger. One is set in Roland's youth, and the other isn't even about Roland, but about a young lad named Tim. Wizard and Glass is a very long book, and its mostly a prequel. I think by the time you are done with Wizard and Glass, you will be ready to move forward in the series, and not read yet another prequel, half of which has nothing really to do with Roland himself. Only about 20 pages of TWTTKH serve as the bridge between Wizard and Wolves.

2) There are references in TWTTKH to events/places/characters that take place in later books (ie Wolves, Susannah, and Dark Tower). You will appreciate those references much more if you read TWTTKH afterward.

3) Once you are done with the DT series, TWTTKH is like coming home for a family reunion. It doesnt advance the story, but its still part of the DT series, and worthy of the name.

But honestly, do whatever you like... it probably wont hurt either way

I've been going through the series for he first time, too. I jus started book 7 today. I made the decision to read TWTTKH last so as to read them in the same order they were written in. If I decide to go through them a second time, maybe I'll read it after the 4th book.

...there's no wrong way, and how many times in life can yah say dat?....

It will work either way, it fits well between 4 and 5, but also works on its own. I find after book 4, I'm ready for the plot to move back to the quest for the tower, so I'd go on to book 5 because it moves the story forward.

Skip it for now and finish the series. Then start the series again with Little Sisters of Eluria and pick up TWTTKH between books 4 and 5. If you have made it this far then you may as well start the series again only this time read the other version of The Gunslinger, insert Mrs. Todd's Shortcut between books 1 and 2, and Here There Be Tygers between books 3 and 4.