This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012?

Default The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012?

Here is a short essay written by my brother DUXe (not Marcel the phony) taken from my internet forum..

The Mayan Prophecy

According to many New Age believers, the Mayan Prophecy states that the world as we know it will change on December 21, 2012. This is not a new phenomena; as landmark dates draw near, end of the world theories creep out of the woodwork with astonishing popularity.

This particular theory, though, has been around for more than 5000 years. It began when the ancient Mayans plotted our position in the Milky Way and launched the Mayan calendar. However, the astrological prediction has since been exaggerated and redefined by the media.

The Mayans believed and prophecized that around the year 1999 AD, mankind would have 13 years to recognize our own patterns of self destruction. Then, starting at the winter solstice 2012, marking a major alignment (or alliance) in our solar system, our entire lives would be tested and only those most in touch with their spiritual faith would survive. They claim a natural or man-made disaster will occur (although no-one can agree on the exact nature or date of the event) tearing apart the civilized world and taking us back to hunter-gatherer days or worse.

The prophecy is not unlike the Judgement Days discussed in Bible Revelations Scripture as well as the predictions from Nostradamus for the first part of the 21st century. They also describe a space journey led by two soldierss of Heaven to rescue the innocent and faithful that bring them to a "new Earth" or planet where peace and harmony shall reign for over a thousand years. A new planet and star system would explain the need for a new calender.

In any case, December 12th 2012 is a turning point, and if 1999 marks a point for the turning then perhaps so does 13 years after or 2025. We doubt anything picturesque or explosive will happen on December 21st, 2012, but we do know for a fact that big changes are going to offer themselves to mankind as our society crumbles around us. Just take a look around. Many are dying and suffering while others are working more and more while a few are richer than ever before. Many will die quick. Many will suffer slowly. Many will be rewarded. Perhaps this turning point symbolizes a change of "tide" where the first shall be the last and the last shall be the first, generally speaking. You get the idea...

Attachment 16542

Default Re: The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012?

Tell you what. If the world ends, I'll buy you a Coke.

Seriously, doomsday prophecies are nothing new, neither is the idea that "things keep getting worse". People have been saying this for thousands of years. It's always easy to look at the latest headlines and conclude that things are getting worse, society is falling apart, the world is ending.

I'm not saying things are getting better, or worse. Society and the world are in constant change. We as humans can only try to hold onto what we know, and that quickly becomes yesterday's news.

I heard something really interesting on our local NPR station a few days ago. They were talking to an anthropologist, and he said that really, the "end of days" thing is a more recent, Western interpretation, and that the prophecy itself simply refers to some kind of change, possibly a change of consciousness.

Either way, I put no credence in it. Mayans were just people, and astrology is not a science. I'm not saying there's no such thing as predictive prophecy; I'm just saying this ain't it, I don't think. Still ... I wouldn't mind a change of consciousness overall. More general thinkery would be A-okay with me.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Tell you what. If the world ends, I'll buy you a Coke.
    This does not seem like a legit offer.

Ah, but things ARE getting worse; haven't you been paying attention? We're in the midst of a mass extinction, the climate is changing at an alarming rate ( and as a result we are seeing more devastating storms), seas are warming and on the rise, which could have some serious impacts on the base of the food web...and we have no one to blame but ourselves. And we aren't doing a damned thing about it. I don't believe we can destroy the planet - she'll recover in time. But we certainly do have the capacity to destroy ourselves.

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
    And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;
    And frogs in the pools, singing at night,
    And wild plum trees in tremulous white,
    Robins will wear their feathery fire,
    Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;
    And not one will know of the war, not one
    Will care at last when it is done.
    Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
    If mankind perished utterly;
    And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
    Would scarcely know that we were gone.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

I'm goin' with that theory, okay, my theory, that it only reveals their civilization's lack of hometown insurance agencies, feed stores, banks, and obviously no hot co-eds of the Big 10, nor obviously much in the way of big charitable organizations and their ubiquitous mailing lists...if only they woulda had their phone books printed with them snappy ready made perpetual calendars huh, hindsight, it's soooo 2012

There have seldom been any times in history where humans think things are getting better--they always think it is getting worse. Humans are simply wired to think that way. Look at any time in human history and you'll find tons of horrible things going on (including environmentally). We are just culturally accustomed to thinking everything is getting worse.

Hey, I'm not saying all is roses and sunshine--far from that. But for most changes there are positive and negative trade-offs, yet we only tend to focus on the negatives. Life expectancy today is at the highest in all of human history--the positive side is that we don't have to suffer losing loved ones as quickly, the downside is potential overpopulation.

I am a realist.

Prove to me scientifically that astronomy has ever predicted anything outside the 5% that simply guessing will get you.

Then I will start believing in prophecy. Or god, for that matter.

If god doesn't make sense to me, I seriously doubt ancient prophecy is going to make a chink in my belief system.

Also, storms haven't been any worse. It seems that way because this is the age of information. Statistically, things *are* getting better, or at least not changing all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I heard something really interesting on our local NPR station a few days ago. They were talking to an anthropologist, and he said that really, the "end of days" thing is a more recent, Western interpretation, and that the prophecy itself simply refers to some kind of change, possibly a change of consciousness.

Either way, I put no credence in it. Mayans were just people, and astrology is not a science. I'm not saying there's no such thing as predictive prophecy; I'm just saying this ain't it, I don't think. Still ... I wouldn't mind a change of consciousness overall. More general thinkery would be A-okay with me.
    I actually think there is a change of conciousness going on. Or maybe I just want to think that. I feel like people ARE trying to change the way we treat our environment but that it's a long, slow struggle. I think people are waking up and realizing we can end ourselves if we keep going on our path of destruction.

At least, I hope we are waking up. I really do wish on Friday everyone would wake up and say, okay, we've got to change.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast