Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
i'm somebody now...

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i'm somebody now...

Default i'm somebody now...

I was late coming to the wonderful world of Stephen King. I had always assumed that he was simply a horror novelist based on the movie THE SHINING and what I had heard of him, and I was neither a horror nor sci-fi book fan. Then, I visited a friend for the weekend and, settling into my make-shift bed on the sofa, I found I couldn't get to sleep. I reached behind me to the built-in bookshelves and just grabbed the first paperback my fingers touched. It was THE TOMMYKNOCKERS. I just wanted something to get me drowsy. Hahahaha! Silly, silly Smush. Well, around 6:00a.m. (I'm a slow reader, savoring every word, and often read some paragraphs two or three times if I'm especially struck by the imagery they conjure), I still had a few chapters to read, but was basically kicked out by my friend who had to go to work. I did not ask to borrow the book for I knew the answer would be a big, fat NO. My friend is a lovely person, but not one to loan things.

Upon getting home, I immediately set out to find my own copy of THE TOMMYKNOCKERS. Not a single bookstore I went to had it. I almost sat down in the middle of the last store and cried. Anyway, the years went by, and I mentioned this whole incident to a co-worker around 12 years (!!!) "So, how was your weekend?" question. "Oh," she said, "I'll loan you my copy." I almost fainted.

Needless to say, I have gradually been working my way through all of Stephen King's books (in no particular order), and have yet to find one I don't like. Many, many I actually LOVE.

Anyway, sorry for being so verbose, but I just love his work. My only regret is that I could have been enjoying his work all these years if I had but KNOWN. Silly, silly Smush. Fie upon myself!

Default Re: i'm somebody now...

Oh but look how much awesome you have waiting for you. I haven't read all his works on purpose, because I'm saaaavoring them. He can write fast, but not as fast as I can read.

As I've said to many before you, I am jealous that you have so much ahead of you. Enjoy the journey and welcome to the board, where many of us are verbose, so you don't need to apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Smush View Post
    ...Fie upon myself!
    You've come to the right place because we fie-give you.

Not verbose at all Smush. In fact, quite eloquent. What a great anecdote. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    You've come to the right place because we fie-give you.
    This is my absolute favorite kind of joke! Ha!

I am a Tommyknockers fan myself. Welcome to the group!

Fie upon myself!
    ...would you like a wet nap???...

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    This is my absolute favorite kind of joke! Ha!
    ...so, you're saying we should give him a high fiev?.....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...so, you're saying we should give him a high fiev?.....
    That's bad Gentle Giant, that's reeeeeaaaaaal bad, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast