Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Homophobic?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homophobic?

Question Homophobic?

I`m not homophobic, never even really think about it, it`s not my life nor my business what other people do and what they like or don`t like. But this got my attention:
    In a book I`m reading atm, there is a scene where some guys gang up on another guy and they want to beat him up. In one moment this lone guy says to the main bully: " Do you know that people who like to constantly fight are actually gay, they just didn`t come out of the closet yet? They need to feel another man`s body, so they hide their true nature behind beating him up, but that`s the only way they gets to feel them. "
    Then the writer goes into his own rant about how all team sports are like that, soccer, football, basketball...guys only play them so they can touch other men and smell their sweat and wrestle with them or something along those lines...
    Is this guy onto to something or is he just a homophobic idiot?

Default Re: Homophobic?

Is this a fictional book where these are a character's feelings, or is the writer recanting his own memoirs? If it's fiction then no, this does not reflect on the writer's opinions in real life, after all how many times have people turned up here and accused SK of being racist or homophobic because of how his fictional characters behave? If this writer is expressing his own opinions, though, maybe he is homophobic, or maybe not...for all we know he may be homosexual himself and possibly offering his perspective as a gay man? Not knowing him personally I can't really say, I'm just speculating, but his views don't automatically make him homophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Srbo View Post
    I`m not homophobic, never even really think about it, it`s not my life nor my business what other people do and what they like or don`t like. But this got my attention:
    In a book I`m reading atm, there is a scene where some guys gang up on another guy and they want to beat him up. In one moment this lone guy says to the main bully: " Do you know that people who like to constantly fight are actually gay, they just didn`t come out of the closet yet? They need to feel another man`s body, so they hide their true nature behind beating him up, but that`s the only way they gets to feel them. "
    Then the writer goes into his own rant about how all team sports are like that, soccer, football, basketball...guys only play them so they can touch other men and smell their sweat and wrestle with them or something along those lines...
    Is this guy onto to something or is he just a homophobic idiot?
    I'm not sure about the desire to bully or fight, but on the sports comment I would go with homophobic idiot, and a fear of playing sports. Of the only 4 gay men (3 I worked with during different jobs, 1 was an older cousin) only one liked sports and only as a spectator. Of the guys I played sports with in my younger days only two would I suspected of being gay, and one of those "came out" about 10 years into adulthood. I know so very little on the subject, but will I make one further observation. Of the 4 men, two of the men were snobby jerks, one of those being my cousin that my family did not like, not because he was gay, but because of the way he treated everyone else around him. The other two gentlemen, were two of the hardest working, nicest, community minded people you would ever want to be around. And their lifestyle never came up as a conversation between myself and any of them, although there was the "water cooler" talk about them, but also about everyone's elses relationships as well.

Eh, I think that's giving men too much credit for being overly complicated and thinky. Kidding, kidding! Of course, some gay men do "hide" in sports--that's probably where you will find gay men so deeply in the closet that they're one step from Narnia--but I think that's more because sports are so overtly masculine that it's good cover, not so much the opportunity to ogle and grab. But it's a small percentage; even completely straight guys, for reasons I confess I do not understand, seem to enjoy donning matching uniforms and beating each other up while chasing around a ball of some sort.

I think in your book the writer guy is screwing with the bully's head.

My vote is that he's a homophobic idiot......

It`s fiction Ally, but some passages in the book, like that one about sports...that`s his thinking, I`m 100% sure of it. Looked like an entry from his personal diary.
    But...I can`t agree with that.
    What, girls don`t play soccer or basketball?
    That makes them lesbians?

I don`t know what to think about this guy...and no, as far as I know he is straight. He is a German writer, Heinrich Steinfest, not really well known outside of Germany, as far as I know.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    My vote is that he's a homophobic idiot......
    two votes for idiot

diffentily an idiot!

Oh, SRBO, guess I'll chime in on this one. I've heard it said that alot of the guys in high school who 'got alot' from the ladies usually ended up coming out later in life. It was their way (in school) of convincing themselves and others that they weren't gay. Harvey Feinstein (actor, don't know if that's how to spell his name) says that he assumes all men are gay until he finds out otherwise. As for this writer, it's his character talking so can't really know for sure what he (the writer) thinks about this subject. You have to admit, there are some rather head-scratching terms used in sports: tight end, Oilers, Packers, etc.

There's very little for me to go one. Maybe he's not being homophobic as much as he is being "bully-phobic." Nothing insults a bully quite like having his sexual orientation questioned. Personally, if I were about to get my butt thoroughly kicked I'd do what whatever I could to wound their precious pride and sense of self-righteousness.

I've never read this guy or heard of him. If you think he is a homophobic idiot then he very well could be. Beats me.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast