Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Read novels or comics first ?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Read novels or comics first ?

Default Read novels or comics first ?

Hey all!
    I'm sorry if this has been brought up but I don't know where to post this! I recently got The Dark Tower omnibus for Christmas (it looks amazing and recommend picking it up) anyway, one thing I have been looking for a long time was the reading order! Do I read the comics first? Or the novels? Or do you read the comics in between! I've heard the comics are prequels but I'm not sure if it's true. I've had all the novels for awhile now but I never read them because I want the best possible experience. So if someone could help me out with the reading order, ill be one happy man! Thank you

Default Re: Read novels or comics first ?

Since I'm not a comic bok kind of gal, I say definitely read the novels first!

One way to look at it--- the books came before the comics. They are the originals. To enjoy the journey read the books first, then add in with the comics. It isn't necessary to read a prequel before starting the journey. Many movies/ books even will publish a prequel after the series. IMHO books first.

Paulie, I think you're in a neat position Coincidentally, I just acquired the first 2 books of The Stand graphic novels (which are terrific, IMO). I started reading The Stand several months ago, & stopped about 400 pages in. Unfortunately, I had to put it aside b/c life got in the way So, I started reading/looking at The Stand graphic novels to refresh my memory & what a great adaptation to jog my memory...so now I'm reading them in tandem with the novel. Maybe you should try reading the first DT novels first & follow w/the accompanying graphic novels. I am enjoying this process with The Stand. Please let us know what you decide!

...no questions that the novels should be first...then the comics are just icing on the literary cake, so to speak...

Definitly books first. The comics if you want some illustrations to fill in the pictures in your head.

Well, I'll be the contrarian here and say that since you've got the omnibus, go ahead and read it first.

Then, you can read the books themselves and see just how much better they are. Because they are considerably better.

Personally Im not a fan of comics, at all..but I feel like I`m missing out on some cool stuff! I dont know which comics to buy first let alone read! Any suggestions would be great, I own all the novels already.

Thank you all very helpful! i shall read the novels first!

Quote Originally Posted by Liasis View Post
    Personally Im not a fan of comics, at all..but I feel like I`m missing out on some cool stuff! I dont know which comics to buy first let alone read! Any suggestions would be great, I own all the novels already.
    ...start with The Gunslinger Born...and it will lead you from there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast