Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Editions of Danse Macabre

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editions of Danse Macabre

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Editions of Danse Macabre

I was searching e-bay for a first edition of Danse Macabre and noticed there appears to be two hardback editions, one in 1981 and one in 1983. Does anyone know if the 1983 edition is the same as 1981 or was it an updated version? I thought it was a little strange to see two hardcover editions only two years apart. I don't think one is a book club edition either because there are several listings calling both versions first editions. Most sellers on e-bay are pretty good about listing book club editions as such.

Default Re: Editions of Danse Macabre

The 1983 edition corrects a couple errors in the 1981 edition, along with having an additional introductory essay. However, I would suggest, unless you are dead set on a hardcover, on getting the 2010 edition, as it has an additional essay added to it, plus it's prbably a bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophius View Post
    The 1983 edition corrects a couple errors in the 1981 edition, along with having an additional introductory essay. However, I would suggest, unless you are dead set on a hardcover, on getting the 2010 edition, as it has an additional essay added to it, plus it's prbably a bit cheaper.
    I've already purchased the 2010 on kindle (great new intro, BTW). As far as the other, it's just me collecting first editions of his books. It seems strange that both editions are hardcover releases so close together. Thanks for the info.

Hey fljoe...here's a first edition for ya!

Attachment 12952

I found this interesting.Must check my books to see what copies I have.Thanks

I just found a first edition at a thrift store, which made me do a little dance in the aisle. I'm finishing up On Writing and Everything's Eventual and then starting on Danse and Tommyknockers.

Quote Originally Posted by d.bradley View Post
    I just found a first edition at a thrift store, which made me do a little dance in the aisle. I'm finishing up On Writing and Everything's Eventual and then starting on Danse and Tommyknockers.
    I just get whatever my local library has on hand! However I know the one I am reading at the moment is pretty old. The picture on the back is quite weird in its own way. Way too much facial hair and thick glasses. I think Stephen King is one of those lucky people whose looks improve over the years rather than getting worse!

Ok Ms Mod, here's a perplexing one for the quality control department

#1 - When the updated (2010) Danse Macabre was released, I purchased the kindle version. I had read this a long time ago and lost my copy somewhere along the way so I bought this more as a reference I could look at once in a while than to read start to finish. I read the new introduction and have glanced at it a few times since.

#2 - A couple of weeks ago, I saw the (2010) audio book version of Danse Macabre and decided this would be a good listen for my nightly walks so I bought it. When I have an audio book and a hard copy, I have a strange (I think - does anyone do this?) habit of occasionally picking up the hard copy and reading short sections along with the audiobook. What I have noticed is additional material on the audio book. It basically consists of a paragraph here and there that expands on a particular book or movie that is being discussed. I've only picked up the kindle version and read along maybe 7 or 8 times but have found several instances of this additional material.

SO - here's what I'm wondering

Did SK add additional copy other than a new introduction in the 2010 version?

If so, I think that maybe whoever put the kindle version together put the new intro on the old version. I do not have the old hard copy to compare with.

Anyway, it just seems strange that the audiobook doesn't match the kindle version.
    Last edited by fljoe0; May 8th, 2013 at 09:34 AM.

I'd have to do some research to get an answer for you. I'd thought he only did the Introduction but I don't know for sure and don't have an explanation as to the differences between the audio and Kindle editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I'd have to do some research to get an answer for you. I'd thought he only did the Introduction but I don't know for sure and don't have an explanation as to the differences between the audio and Kindle editions.
    I was under the impression that he only did a new intro too. I was thinking maybe the intro got slapped on the very first version but that doesn't make sense because there wouldn't have been a kindle version of the very first version (Too old I think).

It's really weird too because none of the passages I found were revisions. The audio book goes along word for word with the kindle version, then all of the sudden there is an extra paragraph or two on the audio book and then it picks up word for word again with the kindle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast