This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S for Shining SpiderS

Default S for Shining SpiderS

A quote from me from my internet forum of interesting factoids about spiders..enjoy....

-Spiders with hair produce milk...

-The spider web is one of the most powerful substances known...

-The Snowspider of Africa is all white and spins a black web...

-The Chinese claim to have a collection of 'Holyspiders' about 2800 years old, which could be authentic since a spider cannot physically die of natural causes and can theoretically grow and live forever...

-The average spider's 'skin' or 'outer shell' can withstand a nuclear blast...

-Neurologist's at Harvard have discovered that the spider's brain contains more mental capacity than the human brain including logic...

-We in the USA spend about five percent of the GDP on eliminating spiders which is more than the amount invested on drugs, terrorism, the national park budget and assisting the underprivelaged combined...

-In 2001, NASA sent hundreds of spiders into space with the space shuttle Atlantis and observed how they created three dimensional webs in non-gravitational conditions...

-The so called Copperheadspider spins a web of solid steel...

-Most spiders keep their web victims alive in a cocoon as long as possible as they enjoy eating their prey alive. The Viedantspider has a unique venom that when injected into a dead insect causes it to suddenly pulse with movement for a more appetizing meal...

-The Bajillion Spider of Africa is a wonder of nature. Each one is composed of thousands upon thousands of tiny mini spiders that compose the whole one spider and work as one single collective, almost like a tiny insect colony...

-Over 80% of all retail bought clothes contain spider eggs from other countries and are the number one source of household spider presence...

-Sir Thomas Alderidge wrote in the first English poem about the spider...
    "Sylent
    Pryttie Inseyct
    Deth escayps raintrodden",

-A Black Widow Spider queen only kills her mate when he is not a virgin...

-There are elite spider families that live their existence in the atmosphere and others that do the same under the ocean floors...

-Ever wonder why the ocean and sea look sometimes grey, sometimes clear without color, sometimes blue. NO it is not the sun and moon playing tricks, it is textbook authors.
    Under the sea floor are many spider habitats and one egg often contains millions of offspring, sometimes hundreds, sometimes one, depending on the species, but when spiders young hatch under the sea bed they 'race' to the surface to get their first breath of fresh air and cause the strange color change in the sea, not sun rays...

-In the ionosphere, which is a layer of the atmosphere or border of our gravity to space, live a species of spiders called Windcurrent Spiders and use web spun parachutes, like 'backpacks'. They have evolved to actually live and evolve within the ionosphere, and although some claim they are cannabilistic, science has shown that they have developed a plant like process known as 'photosynthesis' (a plant energy and nutrition intake process like eating and drinking but of energy at light wave levels) of attaining energy and nutrition, from light rays...

-It is said that The Enigmaspider can withstand heat of up to 5300 degrees although they apparently live in the Antarctic. That one I have not been able to verify so if anyone would like to add something...

Wild stuff to be used in a horror story from the Archives of the Devil Master..coming soon....

Default Re: S for Shining SpiderS

I call bull**** on almost all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Ooh, well please...enlighten us.

...Jeezly-Crow, you really need to stop repressing yourself like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ayko View Post
    A quote from me from my internet forum of interesting factoids about spiders..enjoy....

...Wild stuff to be used in a horror story from the Archives of the Devil Master..coming soon....
    You watched Arachnyphobia on New Year's Eve, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Ooh, well please...enlighten us.
    Ok.

The whole essay seems to have been borrowed from here. The original is little more than nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayko View Post
    Spiders with hair produce milk...
    That would make them mammals, wouldn't it? "Milking" a spider is forcibly extracting its silk.

-The Chinese claim to have a collection of 'Holyspiders' about 2800 years old, which could be authentic since a spider cannot physically die of natural causes and can theoretically grow and live forever...
    The lifespan of spiders, even spiders in captivity, is generally one to three years. Some die of quite natural causes after only a few months.

-The average spider's 'skin' or 'outer shell' can withstand a nuclear blast...
    No living thing can survive a nuclear blast. Surviving the radiation fallout is more possible for spiders than humans, but they (like cockroaches) are not even close to immune.

-Neurologist's at Harvard have discovered that the spider's brain contains more mental capacity than the human brain including logic...
    Do I even need to go into this one?

-In 2001, NASA sent hundreds of spiders into space with the space shuttle Atlantis and observed how they created three dimensional webs in non-gravitational conditions...
    I seem to remember seeing some pictures of non-grav spiderwebs, but I don't remember when or where.

-Most spiders keep their web victims alive in a cocoon as long as possible as they enjoy eating their prey alive. The Viedantspider has a unique venom that when injected into a dead insect causes it to suddenly pulse with movement for a more appetizing meal...
    Possible, but I can't find any Viedant spider in any of the literature.

-Over 80% of all retail bought clothes contain spider eggs from other countries and are the number one source of household spider presence...
    I'm sure that some spiders and eggs arrive with new clothing, but it's nowhere near 80% and is certainly not the number one source of household spiders.

-A Black Widow Spider queen only kills her mate when he is not a virgin...
    Virgin spiders... now that's Stephen King levels of creepiness. The widows kill their mates only if the mate screws up the mating ritual.

-Ever wonder why the ocean and sea look sometimes grey, sometimes clear without color, sometimes blue. NO it is not the sun and moon playing tricks, it is textbook authors.
    Under the sea floor are many spider habitats and one egg often contains millions of offspring, sometimes hundreds, sometimes one, depending on the species, but when spiders young hatch under the sea bed they 'race' to the surface to get their first breath of fresh air and cause the strange color change in the sea, not sun rays...
    Maybe sea spiders do this. Sea spiders are not spiders.

-The Snowspider of Africa is all white and spins a black web...

-It is said that The Enigmaspider can withstand heat of up to 5300 degrees although they apparently live in the Antarctic. That one I have not been able to verify so if anyone would like to add something...

-In the ionosphere, which is a layer of the atmosphere or border of our gravity to space, live a species of spiders called Windcurrent Spiders and use web spun parachutes, like 'backpacks'. They have evolved to actually live and evolve within the ionosphere, and although some claim they are cannabilistic, science has shown that they have developed a plant like process known as 'photosynthesis' (a plant energy and nutrition intake process like eating and drinking but of energy at light wave levels) of attaining energy and nutrition, from light rays...

-There are elite spider families that live their existence in the atmosphere and others that do the same under the ocean floors...

-The Bajillion Spider of Africa is a wonder of nature. Each one is composed of thousands upon thousands of tiny mini spiders that compose the whole one spider and work as one single collective, almost like a tiny insect colony...

-The so called Copperheadspider spins a web of solid steel...
    No such thing as any of these, as far as I can tell. I think that the facts have been conflated in these cases--social spiders who have a collective (similar to bees or ants) became the "Bajillion Spider", spider silk having a tensile strength similar to steel became the "Copperhead Spider", and so on.

The lifespan of spiders, even spiders in captivity, is generally one to three years. Some die of quite natural causes after only a few months.
    This is only the case of males. Many females live 10, 20 or, in the case of most tarantulas, even 30 years. Unfortunately for the boys, they mature fast and die young, and in the case of tarantulas, 7 years is an old boy.

Though spider brains are no where near as advanced as human ones, jumping spiders do have rudimentary body language and are able to make choices based on stimuli. However, they are still spiders, and not nearly as intelligent as even small mammals.

Originally Posted by Ayko
    Spiders with hair produce milk...

Originally posted by Sepia and Dust
    That would make them mammals, wouldn't it?
    Anything with hair (actual) is a mammal.

Spiders have bristles, not hair.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast