This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Hypnotic Gastric Band

Default Hypnotic Gastric Band

I was reading about this technique today and was curious whether anyone has any experience with it, or knows somebody that has?

As we know the mind is a powerful tool, and I do believe hypnosis works for those who are susceptible to it. I guess if people can be encouraged to quit smoking, confront their fears, and even have surgery without anaesthesia while under hypnosis then some people really could be tricked into believing they have a band around their stomach that tightens when they eat. I have a debate soon that I need to participate in regarding obesity and weight loss surgery and I can't decide whether to mention this technique as a possible alternative therapy.

Paul McKenna has a book/dvd/cd that claims to perform this technique on people...I'm contemplating trying it. What better way to see if it works, right?

Default Re: Hypnotic Gastric Band

Never heard of it, but it seems to fall under the heading of "can't hurt, might help."

I have not heard about this but I would guess it could work in the short term, hopefully until the hypnotized person made the lifestyle changes (if that's what was required). I believe hypnotism can work, because I had some mild hypnotism done by a counselor to help remove some traumatic images from replaying in my mind and it definitely stopped me from obsessing over them.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Yoko?

Ohhh, sorry...hey why not, sounds groovy to me, but then I've seen a bunch, and known a couple, really great hypnotists, and I can see it being possible for some folks, at least for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Never heard of it, but it seems to fall under the heading of "can't hurt, might help."
    That's what I was thinking too. I've been trying to find some credible studies about it but so far I'm coming up blank. Apparently it has a 70% success rate, but I like proper statistics such as how many people were involved, average weight lost, over what amount of time, blah blah blah. The hospital where I work is the only one that performs bariatric surgery in our region, people come from long distances for the surgeries and the overall cost on resources is a huge drain. Obviously the cost will balance out in the end if other obesity related illnesses are slashed when these people eventually lose the weight, but if hypnotic gastric bands can be proven to be credible they could save a huge amount.

I've heard of it before and it seems to work. It's for extremely obese people. I have a cousin that had it done it really did help her and she was real big.

Oops . . .she didn't get the Hypnotic Gastric Band, I never heard of that one before . . .my bad.

....I was gonna ask where I could get tickets to hear them play-then I read the post...anyhoo, I would go ahead and include it, after you view the McKenna info and anything else you might find-providing the methodology and approach seem solid....hypnotic mind control can work on a willing/malleable subject, and work well..after all it's been proven successful on Scientologists...

I think that this is a very interesting theory, and it would be a valid point to bring up in a debate

Hi there, I went to a hypnotist, calls himself, Justin Dreanz, for the hypnotic gastric band. It DIDN'T work.
    was a total waste of money and time!!
    Felt it was a BIG SCAM!