This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Films That Are Better Than The Book

Default Films That Are Better Than The Book

Discounting books based on films obviously... I think Shawshank is better as a film and I haven't read it but just read a review of Atonement (absolutely brilliant film) which said it was better than the book.

Any similar suggestions?

Default Re: Films That Are Better Than The Book

If you haven't read the book, how can you form the opinion that the film was better? I've both read the story, and seen the film many times. In my opinion, the film is good, and it adheres closely to the storyline of the book, but the book is still better. You should read it for yourself, and then form your own opinion.

The only movie that I can think of that I consider better better than the book is JAWS

I haven't formed the opinion - I'm just telling you what a review said. I made that perfectly clear.

I think the movie version of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (US) was better than the book.

Full disclosure though - I HATED the book.

Well, that's not exactly true. I hated the last two, and my hatred for tem created my hatred for a series as a whole. I actually liked the first one.

Anyway, I ramble. Excpet for the stupid change for no reason I thought the movie was better.

Oh, and as for Atonement, I liked both but for different reasons. I'd watch the movie again first before I read the book again.

fredthe3rd...in response to sundrop "i haven't formed an opinion...i made that perfectly clear"

but the first line of your initial post states emphatically...and i quote : " i think shawshank is better as a film...and i haven't read it..."

i once conversed, online, with a dude regularly used to review (diss, actually) albums/songs without ever listening to them....

but, to answer the Q...the only time i ever read a book and liked the movie more was the original 'planet of the apes' movie as opposed to pierre boulles novel...which i liked, but not nearly a much as the serling written, heston starring classic

When I read the post, I took it to mean that Fred had not read Atonement and that he was referencing a review of that work which said it was better as a film.

I'm with both of you, here. At first I thought he was referring to Shawshank but on a second reading I realized he was talking about the Atonement review.

Let's just chalk it up to a misunderstanding, huh?

It's all love here!

Yeah, I regretted my response as soon as I wrote it. Just wanted to open the thread with a couple of examples rather than just the one I could think of.

Although I've now thought of a second (and its controversial) I like Dolores Claiborne better as a film - but I LOVE the book as well!

...and I've just read my first post and can see how it may have been misconstrued!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast