This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Open Ballot Voting

Default Open Ballot Voting

Hypothetically, if I, before the election, would have been for Govenor Romney I would never have a problem discussing it with soméone who was for President Obama. That way if we missed something, we may discover that something they were not aware of. Sceptism is good because it leads to discussion. Together we can find what we want and what is best. With that in mind, why not have open ballot voting so nobody can manipulate the vote. Who has anything to hide? Open ballot voting, what do you think?

Default Re: Open Ballot Voting

Just for clarification, by open ballot voting do you mean having candidates run for office without a political party affiliation?

Assuming that you're using "open ballot" to mean "non-secret ballots", the amount of vote manipulation would go through the roof--think of all the business owners who would fire employees for not voting the right way, the criminals who would intimidate or bribe voters to vote a certain way, and the people who cave to peer-pressure instead of voting their consciences if everybody knew how everybody else voted.

unhypothetically...before any election, i have no problem talking to anyone who is willing to share thoughts, ideals, etc...and only when they show a complete lack of interest in any p.o.v. other than their own, would i consider not talking to someone

i am curious as to what exactly is meant by 'open ballot' ?...it could mean so many things...but, right now, to the best of my knowledge, every general election is an open ballot as you are quite able to vote for anyone on the ballot, regardless of political affiliation.

only primary voting is closed...and that is a function of local/state govt (with a heavy hand by the two main parties), not national, and is currently meant, for better or for worse, as a vehicle for narrowing down a larger field of candidates from one party

going totally out on a limb with this...a totally open election system might be more chaotic than the one we have...8 or 9...or ninety R's running against each other, right up to the first tues in nov. ? the same number-ish of D's...

yeah...and we'd be able to pick a better candidate out of all that ??

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Hmm, ya know I've always felt as if my ballot and I had a rather open relationship, I mean it often swings both ways, and me, well, I'm actually rather vanilla in most of my tastes, if'n ya know what I mean, but we can be found havin' some high quality alone time when we show some initiatives (it so totally looooooves the way I levy), usually on Tuesday's.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    Hmm, ya know I've always felt as if my ballot and I had a rather open relationship, I mean it often swings both ways, and me, well, I'm actually rather vanilla in most of my tastes, if'n ya know what I mean, but we can be found havin' some high quality alone time when we show some initiatives (it so totally looooooves the way I levy), usually on Tuesday's.
    ...just as long as you don't let your chad hang there too long...

You're right...bad idea

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...just as long as you don't let your chad hang there too long...
    And that's exactly why I propose a Dangleberry Amendment to the constitution!