This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. King RE: Under the Dome

Default Mr. King RE: Under the Dome

Mr. King,
    I'm in the process of reading your book, Under the Dome, on my Kindle that I got for Chrismas. I'm a little over 80 % finished with it. I'm really disappointed in the filthy, profanity in the book. Yes, I know you don't care but I feel the need to voice my view anyway. I like a good mystery, suspense, spooky book, etc. and nothing told me ahead of time that this kind of stuff would be in the book so I bought it and downloaded it to my electronic reader. I think there should be some kind of warning just like there is in the movies about adult contect, language, etc. but there was no warning and what do you do when you're into the story and want to see how it turns out? A good story can be told without the use of profanity or taking God's name in vain, I don't care if that's how people in the real world talk. I would like to read more of your books in the future but how do I know if I'm getting one full of awful language or not when there's no warning on the outside of the book or in the description? I'm very disappointed in that aspect of your book though it's a good story. I'm a Christian and I'd rather read stories without the vile embelishments. I know this won't mean a hill of diddly squat beans to you but I'm telling you anyway. You're a writer and can write what you please but it sure would be helpful if there were some kind of warning about what's in the book. I hate to waste my money on profanity and especially the slandering of my Lord's name. What does that really add to the story, huh? Do you have a list of your books that does NOT do this? I'd really like to know that I'm getting something that doesn't do the things I've described. I spent almost $12 on Under the Dome so I really don't want to take it off my Kindle device when I'm done but I'm hesitant to buy any more of your books.
    Since I can't email you I'm posting this on your message board. It's not intended to break any rules, just voice my disappointment and give reasson why.

Default Re: Mr. King RE: Under the Dome

There will be profanity in all of his books.

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    but there was no warning and what do you do when you're into the story and want to see how it turns out?
    Go to wikipedia and read the sanitised condensed version?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    ...And with that, consider yerself warned!

Maaasha, I you.

Yes, here's a list of Stephen King's books with no profanity:

Seriously, had you never read one of his books before?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post

Ahhh, thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that. Is it usually all at the same level as Under the Dome or is some of it milder than other books. If you've read a lot of them, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by danie View Post
    Yes, here's a list of Stephen King's books with no profanity:

I thought I had but maybe not. I've read so many books I can't remember who the authors were. But thanks for the warnings.

Quote Originally Posted by danie View Post
    Even without reading one of his books it's not like the man doesn't have a reputation! (<--- Yeh, that kinda looks bad but y'all know I mean it with love. ) He invokes horror in many people who have read his books, and in those who judge him after only hearing about his supposed horrid tales so I can't imagine a pure Christian ignorantly stumbling upon one of his novels and thinking he would be a great choice. Me smells a stinky fishee here...I mean, am I the only one who read "I know this won't mean a hill of diddly squat beans to you", and imagined Annie Wilkes? All she had to do was tack a "Mr Man!" on the end and I would have actually lollollolled, and y'all know I don't lol.

The important thing to remember is that Stephen King is not reflecting personal beliefs/behaviors in all of his characters. He is an author, and as an author he has to create people entirely. If he were to avoid profanity, filth, and sex, where is the realism in characters like Junior, Carl, Big Jim, the Chef, etc.? There is none. He's creating a realistic story using, although sometimes twisted, human behaviors. Of all kinds. Personally, I loved the book and the contrast between characters i.e. Barbie and Big Jim. And it's really a shame if you choose not to read the single greatest author's books because of how real they are. But hey, to each his own.

Why would you even pick up an SK book if you're so picky? For goodness sake, he's the master of HORROR, not Christian lit. Were you just clueless about who he was? How is that even possible?

There are plenty of good reads for you in the religious section, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    Ahhh, thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that. Is it usually all at the same level as Under the Dome or is some of it milder than other books. If you've read a lot of them, that is.
    There are other "milder" books than UTD. But defining milder is a personal definition. What is milder to one, may not be to another.
    That said- The Wind Through The Keyhole, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The Eyes of the Dragon, and The Colorado Kid might be considered milder.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast