This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts about Steve's essay

Default Your thoughts about Steve's essay

Starting a placeholder thread for people to comment about Steve's non-fiction essay on gun control/gun rights.

Default Re: Your thoughts about Steve's essay

Honestly, I think it's disgusting for someone to profit off of the recent gun tragedies. I don't understand why he's charging money to read his opinion on gun violence.

You have jumped to the assumption that he will be profiting from the piece.

Default Stephen King's "Guns"

All interested:

I'm glad King took the time to write this article, and it's certainly worth reading whether you agree with his observations or not. His comments regarding 'Rage' alone are worth the price of purchase, and I can only thank King once again for being as conscientious as he is.
    My favorite line: "There might even be (o lost and shining city) a resumption of actual dialogue," and he's careful to point out that dialogue is not the shouting (or shrill screaming) of repetitious talking points that seeming pass for political discourse these days.

It's my hope, though, that he eventually publishes this essay on the front page of his website or at least provides a link to the full essay: considering the importance of this issue, and the validity of the points King is making, this ought to be free for all to read.

Well, it costs money to read it so somebody is profiting from it. If the money made is going towards some charity or something that needs to be made clear on the Amazon page, because as it is now I'm sure I'm not the only one with a very bad taste in their mouth over having to pay money, presumably directly to the author for their own personal profit, on an essay that is written in the wake of 20 children being murdered.

Stephen's personal beliefs about charity have been that it takes away somewhat from the giving if a big deal is made about it. However, if you want to stretch the analogy, newspapers, TV stations, magazines, etc. all have made money directly or indirectly with reporting and free-lance journalists who write pieces for those publications would have been paid for their piece. I can certainly understand your feelings but you might want to get more information before you automatically assume something.

How about getting back to the actual thoughts he's putting forth in the essay.

Default Re: Stephen King's "Guns"

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiaraus View Post
    It's my hope, though, that he eventually publishes this essay on the front page of his website or at least provides a link to the full essay: considering the importance of this issue, and the validity of the points King is making, this ought to be free for all to read.
    There will most likely be contractual obligations that may prevent that from happening at least for a while.

I can understand him going to Amazon to get it out quickly, but couldn’t he just have put it up here? I think within a couple of days there would have been a zillion links pointing to it. If y’all wanted to avoid: “the comments that are generated when those same sources stir up people who do not bother to do their due diligence to get the original information instead of blindly buying into the (mis)information they were spoon-fed and then come here to express their displeasure”… having to pay for it on Amazon isn’t exactly conducive to that goal IMO. In fact, I think it just feeds the collective cultural psyche of that you wish to avoid.

Then again, if it is controversy he’s looking for, I guess it’s one of the best ways to secure it.

I will have to wait till the weekend to hijack my daughter’s kindle to get it. I think she still has some availability on her gift card.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Starting a placeholder thread for people to comment about Steve's non-fiction essay on gun control/gun rights.
    I must have missed something Ms Mod. Where can I find this?

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Never mind, I found the thread. I should have looked a little before I asked.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast