This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Washington Post reader response to SK's Guns

Default Washington Post reader response to SK's Guns

...for more perspectives, go here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/..._lifestyle_pop

Default Re: Washington Post reader response to SK's Guns

...I think I'm pooped out on perspectives at the moment...just gonna go oil a rag and wipe down the barrel of me .45, and wait for the Zombies...

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    ...for more perspectives, go here:

I'm of the opinion some of the responses to Charles' blog entry wonderfully illustrate the mindset of a lot of folks.

For example, 'defender of 2nd and 1st' writes: ' just remember that before the computer age when news was not in your face as it happened there were more killings and shootings than we have now and i guess we should ban HAMMERS SINCE MORE PEOPLE WERE KILLED with a hammer last year than with guns'.

This, of course, is a statistic that FOX News (among others) reported, citing: 'in 2011, there was 323 murders committed with a rifle but 496 murders committed with hammers, clubs and baseball bats. A remarkable claim...

...Until one actually looks at what the FBI published.

The FBI lists five categories and the number of homicides caused by them: handguns, 6,220; rifles, 323; shotguns, 356; other guns, 97; firearm type not identified, 1,587. Of the total number of murders in 2011 (12,664), approximately 68% (8,583) involved guns, and not just rifles. As an aside, anyone here want to guess the statistical composition of the 25,848 suicides that occured in America in 2011? Not to be morbid, but not too many hammers, clubs or baseball bats were used, but a lot of guns were (83% of suicides were committed using some form of firearm; 21,454 in total with 19,103 using a handgun).

These figures, of course, do not include "attempts" (i.e., attempted murder, attempted suicide). Did Fox News play with the numbers to make an argument that would deliberately appeal to their viewership? Maybe; maybe not. But I do find it interesting the NRA is reporting the same statistic and making the same argument, while "forgetting" to mention the rest of the story.

Here's another interesting post - Mgh999 writes: "...(the left like to leave that out)... the Second is not about hunting... although a AR-10 is often used for hunting wild boar...it's about, among other things, protecting my family, and property....it's already been determined by the courts the police have no responsibility to provide protection to every individual, so I guess that's up to me. I will keep my H&K 45 thank you."

I find it interesting that this poster takes glee in mentioning "the left like to leave [things] out" but completely fails to understand there's difference between 'the police' and 'a citizens militia' and so opts to make a completely invalid claim that "the courts" have determined the police have no actual responsibility to actually protect and serve the citizenry. Again, a remarkable (and entirely erroneous) claim... but one that reflects the mindset of certain people.

In the above referenced article, there were many fantastic claims by folks on both sides of the line, and very little effort to discuss the actual facts (nor was there much effort to discuss anything King or Charles had written about), but a whole lot of effort was made to reproduce the talking points of the NRA (and the folks at Fox News). Again, irony; this is precisely what King was hoping folks wouldn't do, but then it's unlikely gun proliferation advocates will act against their own pecuniary interests, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiaraus View Post

For example, 'defender of 2nd and 1st' writes: ' just remember that before the computer age when news was not in your face as it happened there were more killings and shootings than we have now and i guess we should ban HAMMERS SINCE MORE PEOPLE WERE KILLED with a hammer last year than with guns'.

This, of course, is a statistic that FOX News (among others) reported, citing: 'in 2011, there was 323 murders committed with a rifle but 496 murders committed with hammers, clubs and baseball bats. A remarkable claim...

...Until one actually looks at what the FBI published.

The FBI lists five categories and the number of homicides caused by them: handguns, 6,220; rifles, 323; shotguns, 356; other guns, 97; firearm type not identified, 1,587. Of the total number of murders in 2011 (12,664), approximately 68% (8,583) involved guns, and not just rifles. As an aside, anyone here want to guess the statistical composition of the 25,848 suicides that occured in America in 2011? Not to be morbid, but not too many hammers, clubs or baseball bats were used, but a lot of guns were (83% of suicides were committed using some form of firearm; 21,454 in total with 19,103 using a handgun).

These figures, of course, do not include "attempts" (i.e., attempted murder, attempted suicide). Did Fox News play with the numbers to make an argument that would deliberately appeal to their viewership? Maybe; maybe not. But I do find it interesting the NRA is reporting the same statistic and making the same argument, while "forgetting" to mention the rest of the story.

The NRA is using the 'rifle' statistic because the proposed gun control bill will limit some rifles.

Sometimes you have to read further so that the things the 'talking heads' say - whether FOX or NBC - can be taken in context.

According to statistics, 97 percent of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessie View Post
    The NRA is using the 'rifle' statistic because the proposed gun control bill will limit some rifles. Sometimes you have to read further so that the things the 'talking heads' say - whether FOX or NBC - can be taken in context.
    That's entirely true, context is everything.

But then, because context is everything, this stands as an example of how entirely specious the NRA's suggestion that "hammers are more lethal than rifles" is and how slanted FOX News' reporting continues to be: Hammers, clubs and baseball bats may have in fact been used to commit more murders than rifles... but then that happy little factoid loses any possible context-related value or interest when it's presented in the context of shotgun-related murders, let alone the context of combined firearms-related murders and firearms-related suicides.

Furthermore, the current bill proposed by Feinstein et al is pretty specific about the weaponry that's being prohibited, and it's not just a bill covering the prohibition of (semi-automatic) rifles, but of all firearms deemed to be semi-automatic assault weapons. That is, starting at line 31, Section 2, the bill specifically identifies semi-automatic shotguns (subparagraph 'A') , semi-automatic rifles (subparagraph 'B'), semi-automatic pistols (subparagraph 'D'), and various other firearm configurations and attachments that would constitute an assault weapon (subparagraphs 'C', 'E' - 'K').

As for the presentation and interpretation of statistics, I'm very surprised someone hasn't generated a figure that clearly demonstrates bananas are correlated with an increased risk of sudden death in certain populations. Of course the powerful banana lobby would be instantly up in arms