This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish (the movie)

Default Catfish (the movie)

I saw this last night and as a member of the cybercommunity (and we all are, here) it hit me pretty hard. Very good movie, makes you really think. Don't expect loads of action--this movie basically tracks an online relationship through time, as both parties eventually come face to face. If you haven't heard about it, it is one of those movies that works even better the less you know up front. And, in some ways, perhaps a cautionary tale for our times.

For those who have seen the movie:

What if this whole site is populated with fictional people who are just a figment of Stephen King's imagination? How many of us have really met face-to-face and know the other members are really who they say they are?

Default Re: Catfish (the movie)

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post

What if this whole site is populated with fictional people who are just a figment of Stephen King's imagination? How many of us have really met face-to-face and know the other members are really who they say they are?
    I've seen the "movie" and I still don't know what to make of it and whether it's 100% factual. If you want something really scary--and true--about online relationships then watch Talhotblond. That is creepy, and devastating for the poor person that was duped, and his family.

As for your spoiler, I've met a few people from this site and they were who they claimed to be. The ones I tend to worry about, no offense intended to anyone, are the people who don't reveal what they truly look like or their names even when you become "good" friends. I respect that not everyone wants to show their face, though, or reveal their identity. I'm pretty much what you see is what you get...unfortunately!

I saw this last night and as a member of the cybercommunity (and we all are, here) it hit me pretty hard. Very good movie, makes you really think. Don't expect loads of action--this movie basically tracks an online relationship through time, as both parties eventually come face to face. If you haven't heard about it, it is one of those movies that works even better the less you know up front. And, in some ways, perhaps a cautionary tale for our times.

Thanks for the recommendation, Ally! Yeah, I wasn't sure if all of the Catfish movie was true (some parts seemed too convenient to not have been staged), but I don't doubt that the woman at the end was not acting. Truth is sometimes strager than fiction, right?

Even though I like making movies starring my daughters to share online, I'm careful about not revealing our last name or any specific identifying information. Once we were out shopping and someone recognized Jillian and Addie from one of their YouTube movies, and stopped to talk to us. But after we talked to the person for a minute, it turned out the person was a co-worker of my sister's that we just hadn't met in person yet.

Thanks for the recommendation, Ally! Yeah, I wasn't sure if all of the Catfish movie was true (some parts seemed too convenient to not have been staged), but I don't doubt that the woman at the end was not acting. Truth is sometimes strager than fiction, right?

Even though I like making movies starring my daughters to share online, I'm careful about not revealing our last name or any specific identifying information. Once we were out shopping and someone recognized Jillian and Addie from one of their YouTube movies, and stopped to talk to us. But after we talked to the person for a minute, it turned out the person was a co-worker of my sister's that we just hadn't met in person yet.
    Yeh, I felt the situation was real but it seemed like the guys filming it knew a lot sooner than they made out that everything wasn't quite as it seemed. They could have chosen that point to stop filming but instead appeared to manipulate the situation to try and guarantee a meeting, maybe hoping for an explosive confrontation to make the movie exciting.

I understand perfectly what you are saying about protecting your family's identity. What I meant was I realised I have "chatted" in depth with people on here about their home life, jobs, vacations...lots of things, and then realised I don't even know what their real names are. It dawned on me these people aren't friends at all, merely online acquaintances. And obviously the same can be said for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    I've seen the "movie" and I still don't know what to make of it and whether it's 100% factual. If you want something really scary--and true--about online relationships then watch Talhotblond. That is creepy, and devastating for the poor person that was duped, and his family.

As for your spoiler, I've met a few people from this site and they were who they claimed to be. The ones I tend to worry about, no offense intended to anyone, are the people who don't reveal what they truly look like or their names even when you become "good" friends. I respect that not everyone wants to show their face, though, or reveal their identity. I'm pretty much what you see is what you get...unfortunately!
    I'm one of the people here who doesn't have a real photo of myself on my profile page but it's only because I don't know how to display one. Next time my daughter visits, I'm going to have her help me!

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Gust View Post
    I'm one of the people here who doesn't have a real photo of myself on my profile page but it's only because I don't know how to display one. Next time my daughter visits, I'm going to have her help me!
    I'm not criticising people who don't display pictures, or their real names, we each should only reveal what we are comfortable with. And as the above mentioned movies have shown, sometimes even what people do reveal isn't the truth anyway. These people created profiles full of fake lives/friends/pictures, and were very convincing in duping others. I guess really we just never know if people are who they claim to be unless we take a chance in meeting each other.

I love the movie AND the TV show.

From what I've been able to figure out, the movie was 100% on the up and up.

I'm in the witness protection program and therefore cannot show my true identity. Seriously, the less of my 'likeness' out there the better it is for humanity.......

I had no idea there was a TV show, Shasta! I am woefully unhip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast