This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Damaged copies

Default Damaged copies

I suspect mine is just an isolated case, but I'll ask just to be sure. I ordered this (the Tenth Anniversary edition) and the backcover is damaged - it is sort of 'sliced' or 'ripped', like someone went over it with a thin knife.

I think I'll order it again, but if it's common, I might get something similar.

I just wondered if it was something that happened on a bigger scale.

Default Re: Damaged copies

Sounds to me like it might have been cut with a box cutter when the carton was opened. You might check with the retailer where you purchased it to see if they would replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Sounds to me like it might have been cut with a box cutter when the carton was opened. You might check with the retailer where you purchased it to see if they would replace it.
    Yes, I'm sure that's all that is. It happens all the time to books, food goods, anything sliceable which is shipped in cardboard cartons which are routinely opened with box cutters. You deserve an undamaged copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I'll go one further: I would demand a replacement copy. What you have is damaged goods and you DID NOT pay for that. You paid for a book in as perfect condition as is possible.

Thanks, everyone. A box cutter was what I was thinking about too.

Didn't know this was so common, Blunthead.

In general I'm quite often disappointed with ordering online. Cd cases break, and then they send you new ones and they arrive broken too. Cardboard sleeves can get dented on the edges.

Or dvd's come loose in the box and get damaged.

And now even a book... Anyway, I'll return it and try once more. Thanks for the help again.

anything sliceable which is shipped in cardboard cartons which are routinely opened with box cutters.
    ...and the one operating the box-cutter is usually opened as well...I present my multi-bandaged better half in her grocery store days as Exhibit A...