Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Full Dark

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Full Dark

Default Full Dark

MIster King,
    My haven't you I gotten sanctimonious in your old age? If money is just a sidebar to writing a good novel, why don't you sell your books for a dollar or 2 like some of the good upcoming authors do. I pay the price you ask because you are worth it, but if you don't need it why don't you give your readers a break? This comes after reading your comments at the end of Full Dark. With the prices you charge for books it made you sound rather hypocritical. I will continue to buy your books because you are the best author I have ever read. That doesn't make your comments any less hypocritical. I also did not appreciate your cheap shot at Sarah Palin, she believes in her point of view as much as you do in yours. Like most liberals you would rather you're opposition would just shut up and go away. If I can disagree with your politics like I do and still buy your books I think that makes me a little more tolerant than you. Your constant reader Fred T.

Default Re: Full Dark

Do you honestly think a publisher could pay all its staff that are involved with editing, typesetting, artwork, promotion, sales, on-line department, that the book could be printed and bound, that it could be shipped to retailers, and pay Steve a royalty for writing the book for $1 or $2? Even with an e-book, there is still staff involved with editing, formatting for e-book applications, the web sites have to pay a hosting company for their broadband service (not cheap BTW), the sites are staffed by people who are paid a salary, and yes, Steve still gets his share of the pie. If you can find a way to do all that for $1 or $2, I'm sure there are a lot of publishers who would be happy to hear how.

And really, Sarah Palin doesn't take cheap shots? Glass houses, you know.

I think that makes me a little more tolerant than you.
    ...why SURE it does!...you just keep tellin' yer little old self that...

I believe that authors, even the Stephen Kings of the world, do not set the prices for their books unless they self-publish. But you know, you can read the books for free from your local library. Admittedly, if you want them right after the publish date you'll have to get on the waiting list early. Even if you're in a small town with a small library, most have inter-library loans; they can get you the book from another library. I'm not being sarcastic. The library is my favorite place to get books, and I've only recently started actively collecting my own hardback editions. It's a vastly underused resource. Support your local library!

Quote Originally Posted by tabascofred View Post
    If I can disagree with your politics like I do and still buy your books I think that makes me a little more tolerant than you.
    Yeah, you're a real saint.

You know what I've noticed? The phrase "full dark" was new to me when FDNS came out. I had never heard darkness described quite that way. Well, that's not true, because now, since reading FDNS, it seems like I'm noticing it pop up in all the SK books I've reread lately. (So I had to have read that phrase before, but I guess it just never stood out to me before, it is a really great way to describe the dark. Just noticed it again last weekend, in The Shining.

I just found this book yesterday in the strangest of places. The Dollar General Store! For a mere 5 bucks. I was tickled to death because yeah it is so hard to find Stephen King's works so cheap. I find Dean Koontz and other authors other places like Goodwill, but never King. And I understand, he is a icon in writing! I haven't read it yet, but from the reviews on other threads I am sure I will love it. Everyone has their own opinions of people, esp. politics. Remember Tina Fey making fun of Palin on SNL? I can't wait!

I don't often speak up 'bout this stuff but honestly.... the last thing I think about is "political" when picking up a book by King. I'm in it for the escapism... I have neither the time or the inclanation to have a pop because of his political sidings or comments. There seems to be FAR too much of this going on currently by his readers. Enjoy them for what they are. Books full of brilliant stories. NOT containing subliminal political messages.... The man is entitled to his opinion, you are yours, just wish people wouldn't get so ruddy HUNG UP about it!!!!!!!!!! Humph, sorry for the rant..

Publishers set prices, as has been pointed out. Go to Barnes and Noble or Books a Million in the weeks after a SK release (or WalMart) and you can probably find it for 20-40% off.
    I don't agree with SK's politics, buy hey, he believes what he believes. The name-calling and cheap shots come from every part of the political spectrum. King also gives away millions of dollars, and that's a matter of public record. Check with the libraries he supports financially and the college students he helps with tuition and see if they think he should sell his books for a buck or two, if that was even his decision to make.
    Yes, if you post anything negative about SK here, you'll be called to task for it, but all are welcome.

I think you're over analyzing it. To me, he was just trying to say that he would write whether he made money or not, which evidently he did early in his career.