Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

Default Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

The first book I ever purchased was a Stephen King book. I was 16, working part time at a drug store and one day was flipping thru the paperback shelf and found a copy of “The Gunslinger”. The cover intrigued me, and after reading a page or two, I decided to purchase it. Up until that time, my experience with books had always been in school. This was back in about 1989. I remember fondly reading for my own enjoyment for the very first time.

I still wasn’t an ‘avid reader’. That did not start until college…freshman year, the spring of 1992 to be exact. And probably what prompted it was a girl; the first love of my life. However, that love blossomed around a Stephen King book. I fondly remember laying in bed with her torn copy of ‘Skeleton Crew” in hand reading chapters to each other. We would switch back and forth between who performed the reading. Yes, one could say that any old book may have sparked a deep love of reading in such a setting, but for me…the memory is intertwined with a Stephen King book.

I remember that first summer break from college, devouring books such as The Dead Zone, It and The Tommyknockers. I remember looking in the front cover of one of your books and seeing such a huge list of books written by the only real favorite author I had at the time and thinking…I will never be able to read that many books. During that summer, a High School friend of mine , seeing my new found hobby, mentioned a book called "The Stand" to me. I was intrigued, but at the same time a little apprehensive when he informed me it was 1200 pages long. I think back to that moment now and laugh.

Well, I read The Stand that summer. And that sealed my fate. From that moment on, Stephen King was my favorite author, and The Stand was my favorite book, and I was a constant reader.

I would never dare to say that “I am your number 1 fan” (wink), but during the passing years I have read a fairly large number of your works. I always kept an eye out for a new novel by my favorite writer. I have also re-read many of my favorites. The Dark Tower series especially. Oh, how if I had known all those years ago how long I would wait to read some conclusion of Roland and Jake…I probably would have waited to pick up that very first book. But in a way, I am glad I did not wait. Without it, who knows if I would have ever found the hobby I have so enjoyed over the years.

Thru the past few decades, I found other writers and fell in love with other writing styles. My book case has grown, and even turned digital, and I grew from merely a constant reader of one into an avid reader of many. My collection of books covers many genre’s and authors now, some widely known, some barely, and even some classics intermixed in for good measure.

By now, you must be wondering why I am writing this. I guess… I needed to write it to remember the good times I had with Stephen King books, and the impact they have had on my life as possible closure. I will be honest, when I first heard about this new ‘essay’ and read some of the positions you were taking, I was horrified. I could not believe that someone that should understand the basic premise of the First Amendment could so decide that the Second Amendment should be trampled upon.

I hear that really you only support government bans on ‘so called assault weapons’ and ‘so called large magazines’, however that is a pretty bad imo, and a big step for someone to take that again… should understand the dangers of incrementally removing a Right. It would be like saying, I am in favor of protecting the first amendment, except I think the government should ban any depictions of horror, gore or violence in books and movies. I mean, no one really needs to watch a horror movie...right?

Then, when I calmed down a bit, I decided that I wanted to actually read what it was you actually said, but when I looked at where the proceeds were going, it was like a slap in the face. You decided not to give the proceeds to some charity benefiting victims of violence, but to The Brady Campaign, a political entity whose sole purpose is to remove the Second Amendment right to everyday Americans. Just look to some of the things that Sarah Brady has said, such as “I don’t believe gun owners have rights” and “We must get rid of all guns”. She makes it quite clear in her words what she wants, and it is the incremental removal of a sacred right, until it is left in tatters and is no longer a right at all.

You say that you want to provoke a constructive debate, however by promoting that the proceeds will go to a political entity that is very much a member of the political discourse, you are not provoking a constructive debate at all, but instead are chooses sides along political lines in a very political way.

I ask you to reconsider this decision… as while that is in place I most certainly will not purchase this essay….ever. And as much as it pains me to say it, I will no longer be a Constant reader of yours, in fact I wont be a reader of yours at all. While I possibly could have forgiven you for simply having a difference of opinion on a political matter, I can not in good conscious continue to read your books while you choose to support such a political organization while attempting to disguise it as ‘a way to provoke a constructive debate’,
    for when you have already drawn the line in the sand and chosen your side…the debate is already closed.

I have no way to know if you will actually read this, but since I have no other way to inform you of how I feel, this is my only recourse.
    Signed,
    A former Constant Reader that is now disillusioned

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

"I could not believe that someone that should understand the basic premise of the First Amendment could so decide that the Second Amendment should be trampled upon. "

Tool.

"...for when you have already drawn the line in the sand and chosen your side…the debate is already closed. "

Hypocrite.
    (I so like these little talks, don't you?)

Next.

While I concur that the decision to make people donate to the Brady Campaign was a bone-headed move to the Nth degree, in order to read the essay, refusing to read past and future fiction works of King is a bit drastic IMO. I have also voiced my opinion on the donation recipient controversy. But I have decided to purchase the essay anyway this weekend, in order to publicly voice my opinion on it. And I will also make a donation to an entity that is more in line with my thinking to offset the Brady donation, or donate to a charity that supports the families of the Sandy Hook tragedy (I even called AT&T wireless the other night and asked if there was some way to donate all of my rollover minutes, over 5,000 of them, to some charity that would benefit victims of such tragedies. The rep said not at this time but he would run the idea up the flagpole to see what happens). Personally I won’t stop reading Kings works or movies based on them… as everyone is allowed to make mistakes now and them. Hopefully it’s a live and learn experience, and doesn’t get repeated going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    While I concur that the decision to make people donate to the Brady Campaign was a bone-headed move to the Nth degree, in order to read the essay, refusing to read past and future fiction works of King is a bit drastic IMO. I have also voiced my opinion on the donation recipient controversy. But I have decided to purchase the essay anyway this weekend, in order to publicly voice my opinion on it. And I will also make a donation to an entity that is more in line with my thinking to offset the Brady donation, or donate to a charity that supports the families of the Sandy Hook tragedy (I even called AT&T wireless the other night and asked if there was some way to donate all of my rollover minutes, over 5,000 of them, to some charity that would benefit victims of such tragedies. The rep said not at this time but he would run the idea up the flagpole to see what happens). Personally I won’t stop reading Kings works or movies based on them… as everyone is allowed to make mistakes now and them. Hopefully it’s a live and learn experience, and doesn’t get repeated going forward.
    Your opinion that it is drastic to refuse to read any further King fiction is a personal one. I have no problem with you holding that opinion.

Myself? I choose to use my entertainment dollars how I choose to, and if something so differs from my personal beliefs, my conscious wins out.

I understand that is not the case for everyone, but it is for me.

I look at it as if someone is very Pro-choice, and an entertainer was supporting Pro-life causes, people have a choice to not support that entertainer anymore. Look at Chick Fil A. There were plenty of previous customers that chose to no longer patronize their establishments when they found out that they support organizations that they disagreed with.

Would it be any different if SK was sending the proceeds to the NRA? In my opinion, it would not. He would be choosing sides in a political debate, when he says he is trying to provoke a constructive debate.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    "I could not believe that someone that should understand the basic premise of the First Amendment could so decide that the Second Amendment should be trampled upon. "

Tool.
    Resorting to name calling? How does that help your case in any way? Really?

"...for when you have already drawn the line in the sand and chosen your side…the debate is already closed. "

Hypocrite.
    (I so like these little talks, don't you?)

Next.
    I am not saying that I wrote an essay to 'provoke a constructive debate'. Do you not see how that is different? And how SK is thus, not provoking a constructive debate, but choosing sides in said debate? When the proceeds are supporting an organization that is part of the political discourse, it is simply encouraging further polarization and not debate.

Of course it's your right to decide how your money is spent. Absolutely it's your right. But King is not a moderator in a debate with an obligation to remain neutral. He does, in fact, have a dog in this fight. It would be disingenuous of him to pretend otherwise.

The essay might surprise some people, since, regardless of what he believes, the actions he suggests are just slightly left of center (rather than the hard nose liberal stance some people seem to be expecting). Regardless, you can encourage debate without pretending you don't care about the outcome. I believe that is an intellectually honest stance and would be rather offended if he tried to pretend to be neutral.

There is more than one way to look at this, you see.

With any debate, wouldn't you agree that the majority of people have already chosen a side but could possibly change their opinion once they've heard the other side of the debate? Not necessarily, but the option for that possibility is there and that is the purpose of a debate. Wouldn't you also agree that most people are probably already aware of which side of the fence Steve was on? He did his research and still came to pretty much the same conclusions he had before writing the essay but he does raise some interesting questions for both sides to consider. If you have no interest in contributing to an organization you feel is against your principles even when given a possible alternative is absolutely your choice and I do understand what you're saying even while I disagree with it. There may at some point down the line once his contractual agreement with Amazon has expired be an opportunity to make the essay available at no charge but for now, that's not an option.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by jay1799 View Post
    Resorting to name calling? How does that help your case in any way? Really?

I am not saying that I wrote an essay to 'provoke a constructive debate'. Do you not see how that is different? And how SK is thus, not provoking a constructive debate, but choosing sides in said debate? When the proceeds are supporting an organization that is part of the political discourse, it is simply encouraging further polarization and not debate.
    And just who in the hell said I even had a case?...you like what, assume you know my position, my "case"?...you ain't even got the first clue my friend, and I'd bet my big toe on it.
    Butt to answer your question, it just plain makes me and my precocious inner mental juvenile delinquent feel good is all, though to be completely honest & accurate, that really wasn't name calling, nah that was more of a labeling..well there's been a lot of that goin' on lately, and I just like to stay hip is all.
    See if it was name calling, I would have said something akin to, 'Tool, and a cheaply made outsourced one at that.'...now ya see the difference, butt then I realize now you don't know me and my personal posting proclivities, so please allow me to apologize, srry...SNRT..not a freakin' chance.
    Oh, and I believe you tripped over disingenuousness, eh, it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    With any debate, wouldn't you agree that the majority of people have already chosen a side but could possibly change their opinion once they've heard the other side of the debate? Not necessarily, but the option for that possibility is there and that is the purpose of a debate. Wouldn't you also agree that most people are probably already aware of which side of the fence Steve was on? He did his research and still came to pretty much the same conclusions he had before writing the essay but he does raise some interesting questions for both sides to consider. If you have no interest in contributing to an organization you feel is against your principles even when given a possible alternative is absolutely your choice and I do understand what your saying even while I disagree with it. There may at some point down the line once his contractual agreement with Amazon has expired be an opportunity to make the essay available at no charge but for now, that's not an option.
    So his contract prevents him from sending the proceeds to a charity instead of a political organization? He could have sent the proceeds directly to the Sandy Hook victims.

http://www.nptrust.org/alert/chariti...y-hook-tragedy

Was this not an option? Was it not something considered?

In my opinion, it would have been a much better choice of where to send the proceeds. It is not political, and it is going directly to the families.

And if as you say, that in any debate...all have already chosen their sides. Than why would SK even say that he hopes to 'provoke a constructive debate'. Just come out and say...hey, here is how I think. Take it or leave it.

But again, my biggest problem is not that my former favorite author disagrees with me on something. That, would simply be impossible. It is his choice of organizations that he chose to send these proceeds.

As I said, it would have been just as egregious if he had chosen to send the money to the NRA. They are both political organizations, who are very much adding to the polarization of the discussion. They both have lobbying arms. They both are not charities.

If he cant post it free for all on his website....then send the proceeds to a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    And just who in the hell said I even had a case?...you like what, assume you know my position, my "case"?...you ain't even got the first clue my friend, and I'd bet my big toe on it.
    Butt to answer your question, it just plain makes me and my precocious inner mental juvenile delinquent feel good is all, though to be completely honest & accurate, that really wasn't name calling, nah that was more of a labeling..well there's been a lot of that goin' on lately, and I just like to stay hip is all.
    See if it was name calling, I would have said something akin to, 'Tool, and a cheaply made outsourced one at that.'...now ya see the difference, butt then I realize now you don't know me and my personal posting proclivities, so please allow me to apologize, srry...SNRT..not a freakin' chance.
    Oh, and I believe you tripped over disingenuousness, eh, it happens.

Ah. I see. You are really just a troll, and are not here for discussion at all. I am glad I was able to identify the one early one. As there is always at least one.

Good day to you.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast