Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Book VS Film

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book VS Film

Default Book VS Film

Hi all

Am just about 3/4 of the way through the book and wanted to share some views regarding the book and the film.....
    I have been an avid Stephen King reader since the age of 13 and can seem to recall seeing the film IT when i was about 14, scared the bejesus out of me!!! Nevertheless i have not actually watched the film since!!!!
    I can vaguely remember the film, and the other week i was scanning my bookcase for a book to read and came across the book IT. The sorry fact is, i remember buying the book but in actual fact it has taken me over 10 years to sit down and read it (i know, i was in shock after the first chapter after realising i hadn't read it!)
    I recently read Bag of Bones and then sat down to watch the film......not overly impressed by the film but after i watched it, i felt that ok, the book had a fair few bits that wasn't included in the film. I decided that ok, you cannot make a film based on every word and scene that happens in the film.

So i have nearly finished the book and my question is this, do you think that all the Stephen king books should not have been made into films? Just due to the fact that so much is missing from the film that was previously in the book.

Default Re: Book VS Film

Hi, and welcome to the board.

If it came to a choice between one or the other then I would always go for the written word. Every. Single. Time. However, I still enjoy the majority of movie adaptations made from King's works...even when they are loosely based on the stories. I'm always willing to give the movies a chance, especially since we always have the books to re-read when we want to visualise the "real" version/story.

Imho, sK stories tend to translate very well to the screen. This is not to say that every filmmaker who's tried it has done a good job. A good number of movies based on sK works are excellent, however, and as more such movies are made this is more the case. So, I say continue Hollywood and wherever else making movies based on sK works. I love them.

I've been on a kick lately of reading books that are also movies. Aside from King, I read the Hunger Game trilogy, Life of Pi, the Bourne trilogy (also read the first non-Ludlam Bourne book- it was junk and I will not continue with those!) and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I haven't watched any of those movies yet- but I'm prepped for them! That being said, I try to always read the book first and try not to compare the movie too closely. There is always stuff that gets left out of movies because it isn't as easy to add all the inner dialogue and feelings. (My favorite example of this is from the book Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, where the character Reba, who is blind, uses her hands to determine where to cut a pie into pieces. In the book, Dolarhyde is contemplating how she will cut pies once he bites her fingers off. In the newer version of the movie, the pie cutting scene is included, but the inner dialogue about biting off her fingers isn't. I had to explain to my husband who saw the movie but didn't read the book why I thought that was an important part that wasn't included). But- oftentimes movies that are based on books get people reading and the more we can do that the better society will be IMHO.

Sorry- that kinda rambles- yes, movies are good and more should be made if you can accept that it can't be a word-for-word representation of the book and be willing to read the book if you want the whole story.

Bring on the movies, I say. I'd rather see a bad Stephen King movie than a bad non-Stephen King movie. And every once in a while they get it right.

I loved IT on the screen, along with the usual suspects Shawshank and The Green Mile. I have also enjoyed others, but have seen some terrible ones, "Thinner" being one of them. I enjoy the books more I think. Agree though, if the film encourages more people to pick up a Stephen King book then more the better.

There's no better feeling in the world than telling a Philistine that Shawshank and Green Mile were wrote by Unca' Stevie

Quote Originally Posted by champ1966 View Post
    There's no better feeling in the world than telling a Philistine that Shawshank and Green Mile were wrote by Unca' Stevie
    Don't forget Stand By Me, Dolores Claiborne, The Mist, 1408, and the Nightmares and Dreamscapeses.

....it's like life...good and bad co-mingle...as do the movies...I prefer the book versions, but there have been winners on celluloid-and crap that would bind up a septic tank...

Most of the best King film adaptations are from novellas or short stories. There is just too much material in most books to be captured in a single movie. The possible exceptions are The Green Mile and Misery, and even they had to leave out a lot from the books. But as has been stated, any King movie is better than most non-King movies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast