Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Pope Benedict to resign

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pope Benedict to resign

Default Pope Benedict to resign

I'd thought it was a joke when I first saw a mention of this on Facebook, but apparently it's true. This is the first time in 600 years that a pope has resigned. It will be interesting to see if his replacement will be more willing to bring about any changes to the church's doctrine, e.g. the role of women in the church, birth control, etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/world/...ion/index.html

Default Re: Pope Benedict to resign

First heard this on the morning news. As I looked back on photos since 2005- he has aged a lot. It would be nice to see some positive changes. Just hope the next Pope does not go back to stricter doctrines. May his days be long and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I'd thought it was a joke when I first saw a mention of this on Facebook, but apparently it's true. This is the first time in 600 years that a pope has resigned. It will be interesting to see if his replacement will be more willing to bring about any changes to the church's doctrine, e.g. the role of women in the church, birth control, etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/world/...ion/index.html
    Never fear... I'm sure that the next occupant of Peter's throne will drag the church all the way into the 16th century.

...sadly, I think the pedophilia issue has worn on him as well...

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Hmm, I'm thinkin' Judy musta bagged herself a new one (pope coverage @ 5:40)....

Very unusual to have a Pope resign.

Let the conspiracy theories begin...........

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post
    Very unusual to have a Pope resign.

Let the conspiracy theories begin...........
    I respect the reasons he has provided and think it's admirable he has declared the role is too demanding of his ageing years, rather than continue on until the day he dies. He is already 85-years old, people are living a lot longer than previously so who knows how many more years he may have remained Pope? Better to admit he is no longer capable of fulfilling the role fully than to continue on just because no other Pope has ever resigned. Personally I think it's a sad world we live in when people automatically presume the worst in a situation like this.

This was the first news item I saw when I logged on this morning. Very unusual and very understandable. I wish him well.

Personally I think it's a sad world we live in when people automatically presume the worst in a situation like this.
    ...I wasn't assuming on my post, just speculating that that was one of a multitude of issues that would wear a much younger man down...I too respect his right to go out out as he chooses, rather than die in the traces, so to speak...

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Good for him to admit that he doesn't think he can do the job and resign. You see so many people in these lifetime jobs refuse to give them up when they should, like our own supreme court justices. William Rehnquist was in terrible shape, hiding his condition and taking God knows what kind of medication while he was making court decisions as he clung to a job he should have given up. I think it is admirable that the pope is doing this if he feels he can't do the job anymore.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast